Does diversity divide us or promote and protect the marginalised?

President Macron has proposed removing the word 'race' from the French constitution in the hopes that it will formally recognise that all humans are equal and we shouldn't focus on our differences. Do you agree / disagree?

Should the future of work 'glory in difference or ignore it'? Is it possible to be diverse and integrated at the same time? Have you seen positive discrimination work successfully?

There's a Radio 4 debate featuring Matthew Taylor here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b89nq0

• His theory makes sense and the French do not quite have our history of Empire or immigration or links to the established church, so might be expected to do things differently but I think he is wrong
    The French seems to have less tolerance of multi-culturalism but maybe I know nothing and should just respect their approach. I am sure he means well but I doubt that he has the majority with him and his approach reflects his elitism and a very French approach.
    I think diverse and integrated sounds right but is easy to say and less easy to do well.
  • Macron should get his priorities straight and focus on the real problems France is facing. The French constitution very clearly refers to the declaration of human rights and includes a statement that we are all born free and with the same rights, regardless of where one comes from. no need to re-invent the wheel.
    he is right though that we shouldn't focus on our differences but it's about changing attitudes; how about just treating others decently as human beings and not caring what colour of the rainbow (and I don't mean rainbow as a LGBT icon) they are, or what life choices they have made etc?

as for positive discrimination, this is the stupidest things pathetically correct extremists have come up with (that and taking the egg out of the salad emoji so that vegan wouldn't feel offended).
    discrimination can never be positive - how is discriminating against one group to promote another, positive? why is discrimination of certain groups outrageous but it is acceptable to discriminate against others? with that kind of thinking, if you are a white able-bodied non-religious heterosexual male, you got it all wrong and you don't stand a chance. there are other ways to be inclusive and diverse.
    If I'm not mistaken, isn't it one of the police forces (Surrey?) who implemented positive discrimination in their recruitment process to hire a more diverse workforce, only to be taken to a tribunal by white males who felt discriminated against and the police force lost. good intentions, wrong way to go about it.
  • In reply to Peter Stanway:

Peter,

This is not about being less tolerant, this is about expecting - rightly and reasonably so - that those who live in our country make an effort to learn the language, and understand and adapt to our culture. Because if they don't, they cannot even start to integrate. This is not for us to adapt to others in our own country. That doesn't mean that people from all backgrounds are unwelcome and need to forget their own culture, and that does not mean that we are not open to other cultures. We just won't bend over backward like the Brits do.

In the UK, I have been asked to lead meetings with translators being present as some employees did not speak a word of English after 10 years in the country. (I then organise English lessons for them). No-one would accommodate that in France; you wouldn't even get the job if you don't speak the language. how can you carry out your duties if you don't understand what is expected of you? do you have any idea what your contract of employment states? more importantly, why should others get out of their way to accommodate you if you are not even interested enough to try?

Also, Macron's approach is not very French. He actually doesn't represent most of the French, only 22% of them voted for him in the first round of the presidential election - a goat would have won against Le Pen in the second round so he can't argue he got 65% approbation-. A lot of French do not recognise themselves in Macron and actually despise him and his elitism. There's actually been a number of incidents that caused outrage due to his elitism and the way he condescendingly treats us. One of the latest one is the dressing down he gave to a teenager who addressed him in a very familiar way; he was right to remind him that it wasn't acceptable, but there was no need to crush and humiliate the kid the way he did. That may seem like a detail but it was low and so very typical of him and how he sees himself, way above the rest of us mortals. The fall will be painful.