Redundancy consultation process

Hello all, I have read some replies here to other similar posts and felt that the original poster was given a great deal of constructive feedback.  I hope to receive something similar.  I am afraid that I have not filled out much on my profile so that this can remain fairly anonymous as regards the employer.  I have listed events chronologically. 

[Post edited by Steve, Community Manager - some content removed]

I was informed of a meeting on Monday 4pm, to be held at 4:15pm.  

At the meeting were myself, the CEO, my line manager and an HR consultant.

At the meeting, I was informed that this was an introductory meeting to make me aware that my role was being considered for redundancy.

The financial reasons for company redundancies were outlined at the meeting.

Following the meeting, I was asked to leave the office and return on Wednesday afternoon for an initial consultation meeting.

During the meeting, my access to my email account was removed as was all access to any digital files saved on the hard drive or Google Drive.

Below are notes from the Wednesday meeting, no one took minutes at the actual meeting so I wrote what I remembered after the meeting, appreciate that they are notes.

At the meeting were myself, the CEO, the HR consultant and a colleague of mine.

This is the beginning of the consultation period, if there are alternatives discussed, the consultation period will continue.

Talk about potential future meetings and why there might be future meetings.

CEO talks at length about the process of selection regarding the financial situation.

1 role out of 7 resignations is being replaced (4 in technical roles), and 4 redundancies.

I outline the aspects of my job that are outside of line manager's knowledge base.

One employee has offered to work 1 day less/week after the announcement Tuesday.

I did not have proposals for other employment and neither did they, because there are no available posts suitable for me.

More time could be required to go over things with line manager: hand over.

CEO acknowledged that my departure would not have looked good to staff, plans exist for a social for all those affected.

The offer is over and above the statutory requirement.

Draft package:

Statutory notice: 4 x £X

Additional amount to make up 1 month's pay (difference from £X)

1-month notice period £X

Holidays £X, based on part of the year I will have worked by the date of termination

Discretionary redundancy pay £3000

Total - c£12,000 153.80 (the total given by the company, I know it is incorrect)

Total discretionary additional amount is about 1.5 months.

I outlined my case for why this is a low offer: length of job search, responsibilities, potential pay cut, disability.

Total package is roughly three times a month's wage.

Notice period payment: I could be asked to work in this time, [employer] has opted not to do that.

Offer of consultancy service by present HR consultant and company: CV creation, interview skills, job searches.

Offer of reference letter. References would be glowing.

Final decision only final in writing

I was told I would be contacted about any changes after management had time to discuss the meeting.

I received word, the following day, that they had increased the offer from £3000 to £4000.

I replied later that day that the offer was still too low:

I have taken advice on your offer and have been advised that your offer is still low in the circumstances.  I was advised that four months, after statutory and contractual notice payments are made, is not unusual but I am willing to reduce this expectation and accept £15000, after statutory and contractual notice payments.  

And the CEO's reply:

Unfortunately, given (the company's) cash position, the board are not able to offer more than the £4000 discretionary payment discussed yesterday. The proposed package represents 4 months pay, assuming monthly pay of £X after tax.

I would very much like to agree on this amicably because I respect you and value the complete loyalty and support you have expressed during your time at (the company).

Normally the payments are not negotiable, however, because of your significant contribution to (the company), we made an exception but we have gone as far we can.

Please let me know if we can agree with this today?

I stated that I would need more time to reply.  I received the document by email that my role had been made redundant, 2 1/2 hours later.  The CEO then left for another country the following day for company matters.

The document was initially sent to my work email address and then, on the Monday directly after, was sent to my personal email address.

On Wednesday, the 23rd of May, I received an email from an office admin:

We want to thank you for your outstanding contribution to (the company) and we are planning to organise drinks next [date]. The company will pay for the first two rounds of drinks.

Please let me know if you would want to attend this so I can get this organised.

Would you be able to confirm that you received our email and letter?

I had already replied that I received the email, the letter was collected on the 29th of May, by me, from the post office as the company underpaid for stamps.

I wrote and sent an appeal the next day...

I write to appeal the decision to dismiss me from (the company). I believe that my dismissal for redundancy is unfair and that (the company) has behaved unreasonably. In particular, I believe that (the company) has failed in its obligation to properly warn and consult with me. Furthermore, I believe that the decision to dismiss me may have been pre-determined.

The appeal goes into far more detail about why I feel this, which I can share if you want, but feel this post is already too long.

The appeal meeting is on the 5th of June, do you have any suggestions as to what the key points I should raise are?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

• In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Slightly off topic.. Hi Elizabeth, how can we chivvy a colleague along who is on paid leave whilst the consultation goes on? We've got a colleague dragging the process on to over a week between meetings and i'm concerned how to tell them they need to attend sooner without rocking the boat (too much). We allowed them to go on authorised absence (not annual leave) while the process runs.
  • In reply to Lauren:

Just fix the meeting and tell them to be there. Or require them to attend work in between. You are in control not them