I can't be myself at work - doctorate research

Hello everyone

If you would disagree or strongly disagree with the statement "I am not afraid to be myself at work" please consider answering this survey:  https://bit.ly/2OhKNrp 

The responses will be used for a doctorate research project at Reading University into the impact of working in a VUCA environment (volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous). The data from the survey will be combined with advances in neuroscience to build understanding of how organisations can help people to stay resilient. The survey has been designed to measure the cognitive elements that you use at work and should take you approximately 30 minutes. It contains a series of questions and three exercises. You need to use a keyboard to answer the questions.

All data will be compiled and anonymised.

At the end, you will have the option of entering into a draw to win one of the following:

A Coaching Planner from www.greatminds-uk.com
A 1.5hr Coaching session for yourself
A half day team development session for your work team.

Thanks in advance to everyone who does the survey.

• Wow, that was a thorough survey! I really enjoyed doing it though. Apparently I'm better at spotting patterns than I think I am. ;-)
  • Is this for your doctorate Elizabeth?
  • In reply to Peter Stanway:

I wish. I'd love to do a doctorate but can't see the point for me apart from pure pleasure. I loved my Masters.

The person doing this research is Sam Mathers, who I know because she's freelancing while she studies and has delivered brilliant training sessions for us on leadership from a neuroscience perspective.

@Jacqui - I thought the odd/even vowel/consonant game was quite good fun although surprisingly tricky, but in some of those pattern-finding questions I suspected the correct answer was that there was no pattern, except that wasn't an option. But as I got 50% and it said the average was 53%, most people must find it difficult.
  • Thought Provoking Survey.I enjoyed every bit of it
  • In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

I got all but one right. I used to find them very difficult due to my dyslexia as I can't visualise things rotating very well and I did all these with a feeling of 'I don't have a clue'. But these seemed to be easier to work out using logic rather than relying on spatial awareness. I'm rather proud of myself.
  • I had a message from Sam to say that 52 people have already done the survey. 28 report feeling afraid of being themselves at work or that there is a threatening atmosphere at work. So hurrah for the forum that people are willing to help with research (not a surprise to me as a regular reader that people would help) but how sad that we have virtual colleagues who cannot be their authentic selves at work. If that's you, at least you know you are adding to the sum of knowledge in this area by completing the survey.
  • In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

I suppose it very much depends on why you feel you can't quite be yourself at work, and those reasons and the definition will be different for each of us. We all choose what we share and what we hide of ourselves, particularly in our professional lives. I'll be very interested in her findings.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

I'm agreeing with Nina, here - I don't think I've ever felt afraid to be authentic in any places I've worked, but I would say I curate my identity a little - Just my choice - but certainly not from fear.

I also find it an interesting concept - what exactly is our authentic self and are there circumstances where we actually are that? Rhetorical question! I think we are actively responsive to all sorts of situations and freely/carefully express in any number of different situations. An interesting area of research, I'm sure!