Family Relationship and Recruitment

Assalamualikum everyone

I have a question related to the subject "Family Relationship and Recruitment". 

Can we or Should we look at the family relationship of a candidate whom we are recruiting for the C level or leadership position. Should we not consider anyone for such a leadership role who could not maintain a healthy or successful marriage, or sibling relationships etc. Will such a move be discriminatory? Will such a move be attack on personal life of a person. 

Appreciate if anyone could assist with views on this. 

Regards

• Good morning Umer
    I am not sure which country you are working in? In the UK, this would absolutely not be acceptable practice - there might be a discrimination angle, but it's just not something that would ever be done.
    What we might do is psychometric tests
    Kind regards

Emily
  • Its not the relationship that matters. As long as they do their job and their relationship at work is kept professional then nothing else matters.

I don't care about the relationship side as long as it didn't cause an issue at work.
  • I think we are way beyond judging people on the strength of their marriage and have never even considered if someone has a good relationship with their siblings. hating an abusive relative should not be held against someone.
  • As-salamu alaykum Umer

As others have said, this would not be considered good practice in the UK.

However, in countries where sound family relationships are both visible and culturally important, a C suite player who is not able to conform to these expectations could potentially bring the company into disrepute. I make no judgement on whether this cultural perception is good or bad, but if it is a social reality it cannot be disregarded.
  • In reply to Emily:

Thanks. Yes that was my opinion as well. However, another senior Leadership trainer persisted the other day to look into this side on LinkedIn and i was of the same opinion as you are. Thanks for confirming this.
  • In reply to Ray:

Thanks Ray. Agree with you. However, when you say it cannot be disregarded, i dont' think you mean that it can be made a part of recruitment process. As if we start observing this, eventually it may become a habit and process for the company and there is a possibility that we may lose out on many good candidates where we do not know their circumstances and making decision on partial (though important) information. Anyway thanks for your opinion on my question