to reduce the abuse on sick leave

Dear all, Any suggestions how to address the abuse on sick leave affectively to the employees or any ideas or plans about this. As this is being a huge cost on the company. Thanks in advance.
  • Good records
    Return to Work Interviews

Always the top 2
    There may be training needs attached to the above
  • Hi Odette
    What is your process for reporting and managing sickness absence at the moment? Do employees have to ring in and talk to their manager when they are sick? Does the manager keep in touch during their absence? Are return to work interviews done all the time?

Those are the very basic things that help to manage sickness absence and reduce it. Over and above that, you probably need to do some analysis - where does the problem with your absence levels lie? Is it long term or short term absence? Why are people abusing the system? Do they feel they have no other option when they need time off in an emergency? Are they unenthusiastic about work and just not motivated to come in? Is there something in the work place they are trying to avoid? These are all things you can do something about - it might not be quick or easy but it can be done.

Ultimately if you've fixed everything you can and tried the carrot approach as much as possible, then it might be time to bring out the stick of the absence management process - a process of escalating warnings with occ health referrals if required to get to the root of the problem with individuals which ultimately may lead to their dismissal if they are unable to maintain effective levels of attendance even after you've done everything you can.

If you can give us some more details about where you think the problems lie, then we can give more targeted advice. ;-)

Kind regards

Jackie
  • CIPD has a huge amount of useful info in its knowledge bank on this site. Its advice for managing short term absence is

Absence interventions
    Effective interventions in managing short-term absence include:

Return-to-work interviews.
    Providing leave for family circumstances.
    Using of trigger mechanisms to review attendance.
    Disciplinary procedures for unacceptable absence levels.
    Changes to working patterns or environment, such as flexible working.
    Employee assistance programme.
    Training line managers in absence management.
    Involving occupational health professionals.
    Return-to-work interviews can help identify short-term absence problems at an early stage. They also provide managers with an opportunity to start a dialogue about any underlying issues which might be causing the absence.

Disciplinary procedures for unacceptable absence should make it clear to staff that unjustified absence will not be tolerated and that absence policies will be enforced. It’s important that any underlying health conditions are taken into account as part of this process.

Promoting a positive attendance culture, while emphasising that genuine sickness absence will be supported, can help to ensure illegitimate absence is not tolerated and attendance-focused initiatives are supported.

The role of line managers
    Line managers have an important role to play in managing absence, and our research shows that managers take primary responsibility for managing short-term absence in two-thirds of organisations. However, too few organisations train their line managers in the skills needed to do this effectively. Managers need good communication skills and the ability to create a trusting culture where employees feel able to flag issues at an early stage. If line managers can spot the early warning signs of potential problems, employees can be given appropriate support before matters escalate.

Line managers need to be trained in:

The organisation’s sickness absence policies and procedures.
    Their role in the attendance management process.
    The way fit notes operate and how to act upon any advice given by the doctor.
    The legal and disciplinary aspects of absence, including potential disability discrimination issues.
    Maintaining absence record-keeping and understanding facts and figures on absence.
    How the trigger points system operates (where applicable).
    The role of occupational health services and proactive measures to support staff health and wellbeing.
    Managing complex cases with the support of occupational health professionals and HR.
    Developing return-to-work interview skills.
    The skills needed to raise and discuss potential issues, including those related to more complex or sensitive problems.
  • Great advice from the usual contributors!

I would add that in the case of generalised absenteeism problems due ti poor management follow-up the solutions I have successfully applied have included :

• name and shame - monthly publishing of absenteeisim rates for each department, monthly, quarterly and annually
    • making poor absenteeism management an explicit factor for reducing any discretionary individual bonus that may be in place

This of course assumes you have already provided appropriate training and support to managers in how to handle absenteeism...... 

• In reply to Keith:

Completely agree with you

• I will start with the return to work interview.
  • In reply to Keith:

I took your suggestion and gone through the website and guidelines and did some research on the RTW and I m very positive about it.

Thanks
  • In reply to Ray:

yes as an audit is already done now it s time for the action plan.

Thanks for your valuable suggestions.
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Thanks Jackie, I will start with the RTW as the problem has to be tackled from the roots, in this case i have to train and guide the managers first.
  • In reply to Peter Stanway:

After doing some research, i totally agree with your suggestions.

Thanks