What makes this Community so special?

Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 Sep, 2018 14:58

A big assumption, perhaps... but it's a few years since I last asked this question and I know we have lots of new community members.

Can you sum it all up in a sentence? An anecdote? A word, even.

It would be great to hear how you benefit from the forums - professionally or in your working role.

Thanks a million.

• A place where you can have a sounding board, a point in the right direction, handholding, technical support, or a great big kick up the ass, all of which are given with the best intention and interests of supporting you and, vicariously, your organisation.
  • I am a standalone but I am not alone.

Cheesy enough for you? :)
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 Sep, 2018 15:27

In reply to Cat Jones:

Poetry.
  • It's where we get advice freely, criticism gently and correction sagely.
  • My connection with the mothership - working on what might was well be another planet rather than just a remote island, being a part of this community helps me keep my knowledge and UK employment law and HR practice up-to-date and is an important part of my own professional development.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 Sep, 2018 15:50

In reply to Lesley:

...and you are our connection with the Falkland Islands.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Not an especially useful quality in a HR community, unless someone is particularly interested in the rather odd employment laws of British Overseas Territories or other colonial islands. Or the HR needs of penguins ;)
  • The most useful benefit of my membership.
  • Bounce ideas off, help others, get help, learn and get constructive critisism & sometimes just have some fun (unicorn discussions etc).
    For someone in a stand-alone role this community is invaluable.
  • Like Owen, I find this the one of the most useful aspects of being a CIPD member. The collective knowledge, experience and support is so valuable, especially in organisations where HR can sometimes feel like a lone dissenting voice. I think it gives us all confidence to do our jobs well, thoughtfully and fairly. Or at least, that's how it feels to me.
  • A word. Community
    Two words. Thought forum
  • It's the most beneficial part of my membership and as the author of probably the longest thread on here I would just like to say the expert, insightful advice we have been given has been invaluable. Also, one particular member has helped with my wife's case outside of this forum and I don't want to embarrass the person in question but they have been brilliant! You know who you are!!!

It's too good for just one word or one sentence!

If Carlsberg did community forums...………….
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 Sep, 2018 22:00

In reply to Paul:

"If Carlsberg did community forums..."

Probably ;)

Seriously, Paul... this is good to hear and I know you've received some extraordinary support.

• Friendly, supportive, knowledgeable, non-judgmental and thought provoking.

As a standalone HR Manager I find this forum so helpful. I've learnt so much from it and it's nice to know that you are not alone, and other people are struggling with the same challenges as you are.
  • To support and be supported
    To reassure and be sanity checked
    To tear our hair out because of 'them'
    To laugh at 'them' together!
    To test the theory 'is it me?'