becoming a trainer

hello!

I'm actively looking to change jobs. I'm currently a training manager but I would like to do more than that ie. I would also like to deliver the trainings myself. What's the best way to get started? My immediate thought was to go for professional qualifications, but which one is the most widely recognised?

thank you!

• If I were you I would get your boss to agree that you should do some of the training
    many years ago I was a fully trained trainer with some sort of qualification. I do not believe there are any recognised qualifications.
  • In reply to Peter Stanway:

thank you Peter for taking the time to respond!

Unfortunately, my current environment doesn't really allow for it. That's the reason I would like to change jobs. I guess my question is: how do I show future employers that even though I do not have direct experience delivering trainings, I would be happy to be involved in delivering them and I can learn fast. Hence, looking for recognisable qualifications to prove my interest and knowledge in the area.
  • In reply to Katarzyna Jezewska:

You could try to find a non work arena to develop your training skills eg voluntary or charity
  • In reply to Katarzyna Jezewska:

Welcome to the communities Katarzyna Jezewska.

In addition to Peter's advice, I can only add the following:

Read books about training techniques. Practical books rather than theory. Get to know your subject. Don't confuse giving a talk about something with training.

My favourite book full of training techniques is;-The Winning Trainer" by J T Eitington.

So if you are going to teach/coach/facilitate etc., about Appraisals for example, make sure you know what you are talking about, especially from a practical point of view.

Are you able to sit in with some of the trainers you bring in?

You have probably already attended good and poor training sessions yourself? That is good practical experience observing other sessions.

As Peter said, trying to gain experience outside your current employment might be a way forward (I've done this). Colleges of FE/HE, or whatever they are now called. Night Classes, offering weekend courses - anything really to give you some experience.

I'm sure you'll get more advice. I can't help on the qualification question but I'm sure someone one will confirm or contradict Peter's comment about training qualifications.
  • In reply to David Perry:

thank you all for your input and recommendations! I will definitely get the book and see how I could develop the skills outside of my work. Many thanks :)