Fathers and the workplace

Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

20 Mar, 2018 11:36

Interesting article on the BBC today.

"Workplace policies have not kept up with the social changes in people's everyday lives," according to Maria Miller, Chair of the Commons Women and Equalities Committee.

Couldn't agree more... could you?

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

Totally agree
  • as normal the flexible working debate only every extends to those who are parents, when is it going to be recognised that every employee may need some flexibility around their working hours, I know this from caring for elderly parents -my employers reaction and a discussion with my Brother about who could do what and how he would never get time off from his senior role in the construction industry.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

25 Jun, 2018 22:48

In reply to Doreen Thomas:

I think many of us would agree with you, Doreen... and say as much on these forums.

We also have an on-going case where the repercussions can be huge for individuals affected.

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

These are some interesting findings from a survey carried out by a social sciences fellow at University College London:

• A small number of parents reported their employer behaved in a “very clearly obstructive” manner towards fathers trying to exercise their rights.
    • More than a third (37 per cent) of pregnant women thought shared parental leave (SPL) would have a negative impact on their male partner’s career.
    • While many employers enhance their maternity leave offering, few raise their SPL payouts above the statutory requirement of £145.18 a week.

So although shared parental leave is available, scientific evidence is backing anecdotes which say it's not that easy for fathers to take it.