Duty of Care and Dismissal feedback

Hi

Please could I get some opinions concerning a dismissal appeal hearing that I have next week?

My employers dismissed me back in February on the grounds of a harassment charge made by my ex-girlfriend who also works for the same company. The harassment was based on sending a large volume of emails, mainly due to the fact that it was apparent that she had left me for for someone else in the company who was also a friend, and then tried to cover the whole thing up to protect her reputation.

As the investigation took place, it became apparent (and I have since proved) that the company weren't following correct policy or process. The company's misconduct policy specifically states that if bullying or harassment is involved then the bullying and harassment policy must be followed too.

My contract (and therefore my ex-girlfriends contract) also stipulates that any bullying or harassment complaints are submitted in accordance with this policy. Yet this policy and process were never followed. I was never informed of the investigation beginning, never invited to make a statement and never given a copy of the complaint.

During the whole time that the harassment had been alleged to have taken place and during the investigation, I had been suffering from (and was later diagnosed as suffering from) a mental health condition known as an adjustment disorder. I had actually started feeling suicidal and informed my employers of this in writing on three occasions but they took no notice.

I unfortunately got to the point last November where I did actually attempt suicide as a result of this. After failing with a painkiller overdose, I woke up the next morning and tried to cut my wrists down by the river. A police search ensued and on their instructions, my mother rang my employers to inform them. The HR person who answered the phone was also the person investigating the case. When my mother informed them that I was missing having made two attempts to kill myself and that my condition was unknown and that there was an active police search to find me, she was given the following reply “Oh, I thought he might do something like that, I guess I'll have to postpone everything.”

That was on a Friday morning and despite confirming my mother's contact details as next of kin, no-one ever rang back to check if I had been found. My mother, in shock at the phone call obviously never rang back either.

Luckily, I was found ok and after a stay in hospital was released the next day. My sister who had left her workplace on the Friday upon hearing the news was given an additional week of compassionate leave to look after me. During that week, her Director of HR rang every day to check how the two of us where doing.

My employers however, never rang once. In fact, the first contact I had was my Union Rep emailing me on Wednesday morning asking for permission to see the evidence in advance of the arranged hearing. I wasn't even aware that a hearing had been arranged. It later transpired that my Union Rep was asked to email me by the HR person. Rather than contact me or my next of kin directly to check if I was ok, they used the Union Rep to do their dirty work for them.

Later that day, my sister emailed a letter to the Head of Personnel explaining what had happened and asking questions regarding duty of care and why no one had picked up on it. The reply we received failed to answer any of the questions and instead stated that a letter was in the post containing details of the hearing and also a copy of the evidence.

I had a meeting with my psychiatrist the next day (Thursday) who was appalled that considering that I had just tried to kill myself because of the investigation, sending me the paperwork so soon could potentially trigger a relapse. When the paperwork arrived the next day it turns out the the letter was dated from the Monday. My employers had written the charge letter and arranged the hearing without first checking if I was even alive!!!

My GP agreed with the psychiatrist that I was in no fit state to defend myself at a hearing two weeks after attempting suicide and so issued me with a month long sick note.

My employers reluctantly accepted this (without ever asking if I was ok) and said that the hearing would be rearranged for after Christmas. I told them that I would keep them updated as to my progress.

Three weeks later, still without any contact from my employers regarding my wellbeing, I received a letter informing me of my new hearing date. When I informed them that it clashed with one of my treatment sessions, the HR person refused to accept it.

Only then, after I emailed the Head of Personnel and explained that my recovery had to be a priority in order to avoid danger of relapse, was my wellbeing actually considered. Five weeks after being informed that I had tried to commit suicide, my employers finally referred me to Occupational Health.

Neither myself, nor my family (who have suffered greatly as a result of this) have ever been given an explanation or apology of why my employers took no action.

In my view, this surely counts as gross negligence of duty of care. The fact that during the investigation, no-one ever enquired as to my wellbeing, despite me informing them three times of feeling suicidal is appalling. The manner in which the HR person spoke to my mother on the phone and subsequently arranged everything without knowing if I was still alive is shocking.

What are your views on this? I have written evidence of all of this and will be presenting it at the appeal hearing along with a formal complaint.

I have also proved that my employers broke the Data Protection Act on four occasions and have been in discussion with the Information commissioners Office regarding this.

The Head of Personnel also made false accusations against me in the dismissal letter. They claimed that I had not declared a previous depressive episode on my application form. I later found that they would not have had access to this without my written permission as medical records are confidential. When I requested a copy for myself, it turns out that I had declared it and not only that, I got my GP records and proved that three days before submitting the declaration form, I visited my GP to ask how to declare it (in terms of severity).

The dismissal letter also shows that the Head of Personnel failed to accept my medical diagnosis as mitigating evidence, despite an adjustment disorder being known to substantially affect self control, allow a person to be aware of their actions and exercise rational judgement.

I believe that everything that happened was a result of my deteriorating mental health and that I have subsequently been punished for it. Which is surely discrimination?

I also have an issue with the fact that the Head of Personnel was the decision maker in the hearing. According to the misconduct policy, at the hearing, the investigation manager should present the investigation report to the decision manager who will then question the respondent and then make a decision based on it all. In my case, there was no investigation report (as apparently one was not deemed necessary, despite being a key part of the process) and the decision maker and independent witness had already studied the whole investigation beforehand.

Does that sound correct and fair to you? I believe in most organisations, the Head of HR acts a subject matter expert, providing guidance and advice to the people who have been designated the roles of investigation and decision manager. This leaves the HR team free to ensure the welfare of the respondent without comprising the impartiality of the investigation.

However, my employer's Head of Personnel isn't an HR professional, in fact no-one in the company holds any CIPD qualifications. The Head of Personnel is someone doing a two year staff job and has no relevant experience. I must point out that whilst I work for the government, I am not military and am subject to standard civil servant guidelines.

Personally, I feel that my dismissal should be overturned by taking the mitigating evidence into account. If my employers no longer think that it is suitable for me to work for them, then I should be dismissed for other reasons and notice paid. Is that reasonable?

Finally, I have been made to wait two and half months for my appeal hearing as the relevant people weren't available until now. Does that sound acceptable to you?

I believe that the entire HR team working on the case should be investigated for various accounts of gross misconduct and replaced by people who are suitably qualified and experienced to do the job.

Anyhow, thanks if you've read this far, I would really appreciate some comments and views that I could use to help me at my appeal.

• Hello Adam,

Having read your account of what has been happening with you over the past 5 to 6 months I can only express my sympathy at the situation you find yourself in, as well as for your family having to deal with the knowledge that you tried to bring matters to an end with two suicide attempts. As a , it is exceedingly difficult to understand. ( I have that T-shirt, unfortunately.)

There are many different threads that you have exposed in the events that have taken place. The one thing that you don't make clear is whether or not a disciplinary hearing took place after last Christmas, or whether the investigation took place without your being asked to provide your account of what had happened before the decision to dismiss you was made.

Were I in your situation of having been dismissed and preparing for my appeal hearing then my preference would be to brief one of the union's paid officials to represent me and to present my case. I would have strong emotional investment in the case to be presented and would want it to be presented in an objective and rational way. It would be too easy to be distracted by all the experiences that you've had over recent months.

The timeline of events prior to your dismissal seems to have some gaps:
    - Did you attend a disciplinary hearing, with a union rep?
    - Were you, or your rep., provided with the evidence underpinning the allegations of harassment that were put to be you at that disciplinary investigation meeting?
    Should these not have occurred then it can be argued that there have been breaches of Natural Justice in the process.

As the decision to dismiss is for gross misconduct, then I would examine the company's disciplinary procedure and policy to check that the allegation made against you, if proven, is actually classed as gross misconduct.

Assuming that the allegation is classed as gross misconduct, then dismissal will be within the range of 'reasonable responses' by your employer.....but was your mental health properly taken into consideration as a mitigating factor? And, was the harassment that you ex-girlfriend experienced in itself of such a nature to warrant dismissal, or was it more than just emails that were taken into consideration in the investigation?

I have a view that, whilst from your perspective, your employer may have handled the whole situation of your illness with more sensitivity, the fact that they didn't isn't going to be helpful to your appeal, and neither is an attack on the competence of those handling the investigation .

Maybe your aim should be to request that the whole matter be reasonably regarded as deserving of a final written warning and that you be reinstated.
  • In reply to Harvey Bennett:

Hi Adam

First of all, welcome to Communities and do hope you are on the mend yourself: your own health matters far more than any job or dispute!

In addition to Harvey's queries, would ask if I may:

How long was your continuous service with this employer?

Assume you'll be accompanied at the appeal by a representative from your trade union? Because it It is the union who have the resources to consider all aspects of your case and pursue it - all the way to a Tribunal if they consider it may succeed -  what do they think about the situation? - for example, are they providing effective support and what do they consider are your chances of success?

• TL;DR

No, that's not true. I did read it. But your argument is all over the place and if you're going to make an appeal with even the slightest chance of success, you're going to need to boil things down.

From your comment about the military/civil service interface I'm guessing you're in an MoD establishment, which is to your advantage as they do tend to have a strong cultural commitment to following policy and procedure, so if you can demonstrate that (1) the hearing didn't follow policy and procedure AND (2) that the finding was unreasonable as a result, you'll have a strong position. But whilst the first is feasible, the second is a lot harder. Just because a process doesn't tick all the boxes in the right order, it doesn't follow that the ultimate finding was unreasonable, which is what an appeal will most likely seek to establish (I don't which branch of the MoD you're in, but when I wrote policy for the Defence Medical Agency, that was how I was instructed to frame it).

Anything that doesn't directly support one of those two points is a red herring. Resist the temptation to throw out all of your grievances in a "throw enough mud..." strategy.
  • Hi Adam,
    As a footnote to my earlier comments, you may also consider reflecting on the subject that you raised about your employer's "duty of care". Whilst your employer has a duty of care towards you, the employer also has a duty of care to your ex-girlfriend, the complainant, and to her new boyfriend who is also an employee. How would the recipient of your emails regard the content, tone and volume of these emails?

Robey is spot on with advising that you focus on the process. If the process is flawed, and the full facts have not been revealed and considered, then it becomes a judgement call about the 'reasonableness' of your dismissal. Not following prescribed processes doesn't automatically render the employer's decision in breach of employment protection/unfair dismissal legislation (Polkey case).
  • In reply to Harvey Bennett:

Hi Harvey, thanks for your response.

To answer your questions, yes, I attended a disciplinary hearing in January, accompanied by my Union Rep. I was given a copy of the evidence beforehand.

I will be asking for an explanation of why it was classed as gross misconduct seeing as the emails were more gibberish than threatening and there was never an issue of physical violence. In fact I make it clear in the emails that I was more concerned that I would hurt myself than anything else.

The dismissal letter mentioned my mental health and how it had affected my judgement but made no reference to the official diagnosis of my adjustment disorder and it does appear that it was not accepted as mitigation. I will be mentioning this as in the high profile case of 'Marine A" - Sgt Al Blackman, he was diagnosed as suffering from the very same adjustment disorder and the judges subsequently quashed his murder charge to that of manslaughter. To dismiss me for sending too many emails is rather harsh in light of this.

The dismissal letter also seems to tie in some SOSRs for my dismissal. I'm aiming to separate these from the gross misconduct charge as surely these are a different issue. If the proven harassment takes into the medical mitigation, then hopefully a some form of warning will be issued instead. If my employers still want to pursue the SOSRs (which I'm also contesting) then dismissal on those grounds would not be for gross misconduct and I would be entitled to notice.

Regarding the lack of adherence to policy, the company misconduct policy states that any cases involving bulling or harassment should refer to a supplementary policy (which is also stated in my contract). I will mention this, even though I am aware of the Polkey Case as it is relevant to the duty of care issue.

Whilst the duty of care won't have any affect on my reinstatement, I feel that I need to raise the concerns in order to prevent anything like this ever happening again.

Thanks for you help and concern.

Best Regards

Adam
  • In reply to David:

Hi David, thanks for your reply.

In addition to my comments on Harvey's response, I was employed by them for 3 years 9 months prior to my dismissal.

Best Regards

Adam
  • In reply to Robey:

Hi Robey,

Thanks for the advice, it is indeed the MOD!

As you can see from my response to Harvey's post I am basing the appeal on hard fact of several points from my dismissal letter. Namely the fact that my mitigating evidence was not taken into account. The MOD actually published a white paper on adjustment disorders in 2008, and as stated in my reply to Harvey, the Marine A case should help back my case that the dismissal was harsh.

There were some other SOSRs in the dismissal letter so I will have to contest them but have the medical documentation to do so.

Best Regards

Adam
  • Just to add to the sound advice you have already received - has your union supported you in submitting a tribunal claim? If you were dismissed in January then you may have run out of time as the deadline is 3 months. Obviously you may be able to argue that your claim is out of time due to waiting for an appeal meeting but this is a separate issue.
  • In reply to Emma:

Hi Emma

Yes, we submitted an early conciliation case to ACAS last month which my Union Rep is taking care of.

Best Regards

Adam
  • In reply to Adam:

You're most welcome Adam, and I wish you success with your appeal.
    Harvey
  • Hi Adam

Have you put any thought into what you want out of this? It sounds as if you have very little respect left for the people who dealt with your case, and your ex and her new partner are both there. Do you really want that job back? Have you considered asking for an agreed reference and a "dignified exit" - code words for a lump of cash to help you transition to something new and for them to overturn the dismissal, thus allowing you to resign or for your employment to be terminated by mutual agreement. A settlement agreement would need to be drafted, or as ACAS are involved, perhaps it could be done by COT3.

Worth discussing with your TU rep?
  • In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Hi again Adam

I'd just if I may reiterate what I said in my earlier post about the trade union who are supposed to be fighting your corner / representing their best interests. IMHO you need to ensure that everything possible has been done and is being done in this regard and if you are at least reasonably happy that this is so, take very serious heed of their advice and guidance - the union are by far the best people to help you and subject to what I just said are most unlikely to have got it all wrong
  • In reply to Adam:

Personally I wouldn't be placing too much emphasis or optimism on the Marine A case. I think that was largely (and heretical I know) a political judgement designed to get a very high profile case off the front pages. Rightly or wrongly there was considerable sympathy from politicians, the judiciary and interested parties in finding an "acceptable" solution.

I would consider very carefully the advice that Elizabeth has given - what realistically do you want to achieve out of this?
  • In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Hi Elizabeth

Thanks your advice. I think that my best option is still reinstatement. Whilst the HR team that I have dealt with have been awful, my actual colleagues (who don't know about the dismissal but just think I'm on long term sick) have been amazing. If it turns out that it's really not working out then at least I can resign on my own terms.

Having gone through the material provided in my SAR again, I discovered the form that the Head of Personnel filled in after the misconduct hearing. Whilst not explicitly stating my diagnosis, it does say that my behaviour was caused by my poor mental health. The final paragraph then says that in light of what had happened they think it would be best for me to have a fresh start and continue my career elsewhere and that I am therefore dismissed.

This implies that I was actually dismissed for a Some Other Substantial Reason which they have grouped together with the gross misconduct charge.

Surely the SOSR should have no impact on the gross misconduct charge as it is a legal reason for dismissal in itself and should be dealt with separately?

I don't believe this is my employers trying to get out of paying me notice, I genuinely think that they aren't aware of SOSRs.

Please could you confirm if what I've said is correct?

Best Regards

Adam
  • In reply to Adam:

Hi Adam

Firstly, again, your trade union is usually farbetter able properly to answer your query, but SOSR dismissal on its own would have carried the right to notice but summary dismissal for gross misconduct presumably subsumed this and the employer would doubtless rely on the acts harassment etc as the primary reason. You do of course have a statutory right to written reasons for the dismissal but I'm pretty sure they'll say gross misconduct. Just thinking aloud, if I was your union I might be wondering why a single act of misconduct like this harassment has led to your summary dismissal. Unless the single act amounted to gross misconduct and dismissal for it fell within the band of reasonable responses, there might possibly be scope for the union to pursue this angle.