What CIPD level should I study?

Hi There,

I graduated from university with an undergraduate degree in BA Hons Tourism Management. I am currently working as a sales manager at a hotel but I have always wanted to persue a careee in Human Resources. I have some experience in Human Resources from my present job. My plan is to get work part time in HR and to study alongside. From my education and work experience, what level should I study at to gain a CIPD qualification and is it best to go to university to study?

Thank you for your time!  

• Hi Yasmin,

I decided to do the level 3 first as I didn't feel ready for the level 5 and I had only been working in HR for one year so didn't feel I had experience on my side either. Looking back now I am glad I started with the 3 as I feel I would have struggled starting with the level 5 as it is quite in depth.

I have now completed my 5 and looking to start the 7, however everyone is different and if you have the time to put into the studying every week I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to start at level 5. I completed both qualifications part time at a college with a university centre.

Good luck :-)
  • Academically you could probably pass a L5 or L7.

But you have no real foundation in HRM so ideally would start at L3 to get the basics sorted.
  • Hi Yasmin,

At the end of the day it depends on what level of experience you currently have. If it's just OK'ing your team's holidays then I'd go for the level 3 as you - being honest - have very little HR knowledge. If you're dealing with grievances, performance reviews, payroll, etc, then you have a fair knowledge of the day-to-days needs so given your current academic achievements I'd suggest level 5.

Learning is a pyramid. At the base, with GCSE's and A-levels, you are doing a very wide coverage of the subject but only a shallow depth of knowledge. By the time you get to PhD level you're doing an incredibly deep study of a small part of one particular area of the subject. For this reason I would definitely rule out a level 7. This is a master's level, so you will be doing one small area (eg: L&D) in great depth. Not enough of a spread of knowledge for day-to-day use in general HR.

There's also the question of money! For both level 3 & 5 courses you're talking about £2.5k-£3k, so which would give you the better return on your investment? If you do the 3 now you will almost certainly want to do the 5 later, which doubles your costs.

As you're already working I wouldn't give up to go to university, I'd do one of the online courses and continue working. Firstly it means you're earning whilst learning, secondly (and most importantly) you can apply your learning to your work as it happens. It is hard work though. I've done many Open University and similar online courses, I did a part-time MBA whilst working, and am currently doing my level 5 CIPD online. Juggling work and learning is very, very difficult and makes you appreciate just how easy it is learning at university!

I know this doesn't answer your question, but hopefully it will give you questions to ask yourself in order to decide. Good luck!
  • I initially started with the level 3, and then went on to do the CBAAPS, i found by doing level 3 it gave me more of an understanding of HR so would highly recommend doing that level. I am in September going to start my Msc HRM which im so looking forward to, ive not done any further CIPD qualifications in 7 years, although continued to work within HR.
  • In reply to Keith:

New to this forum so I apologise if this is the incorrect thread but my question links to the above response. My wife has accepted a job in the USA that starts next year and I am wondering if the CIPD is recognised globally? I have a First Class BA (Hons) in Business, CMI L7 Diploma in Strategic Leadership and Management and I am studying the top-up year for a MSc in Strategic Leadership and Management. On completion of the MSc what level CPID would you suggest is most suited for my circumstance? I have worked in the Training/HR Field for 21 years, albeit within a military context. Many thanks in advance.