Attendance Review Meetings

Hello everybody,

In my organisation we have sickness management policy that states an attendance review meeting shall take place where there is a total of 11 days’ absence in a rolling 12 month period.

An employee had an attendance review meeting because they exceeded the 11 days in a 12 month period and was given a 6 month monitoring period which they passed with no concern. The employee then had 3 days off sick. When we generate our reports this person is still flagged as over 11 days due to their previous absences. My manager said they should have another attendance review meeting as they've had 11 days’ absence in a rolling 12 month period. I disagree because the employee has already been reprimanded and had a review meeting for the majority of those days that are showing on the report and would've explained those absences in the last meeting. 

Our policy has the monitoring period and while it doesn't mention wiping the slate clean, I think it's quite unfair to rope someone in for another review if they theoretically have even 1 day off sick. 

What are your opinions on this?

• It seems strange you would have a 6 month monitoring period with a rolling 12 month trigger, as you're right - you are in danger of a cycle of repeated warnings, improvement and then reviews. That said, if they've had six months clean record then the second that expires they get sick, that to me suggests there may be an absence problem and an attendance review may be warranted - you don't necessarily need to apply another warning, but the line manager should probably still meet with the employee?
  • In reply to Lesley:

Thank you for your response. We are meeting with them all, there is also another who had some absences during the monitoring period but not enough to cause concern, had a few days off after the period and is now having a meeting.