Accessing evidence

One of the big obstacles of accessing detailed evidence is the paywall many scientific publishers erect. It is not unusual to find that a mere 24 hours of access to a paper costs more than $30 (!!).

Here are two ways to circumvent that problem.

1. Many (co-)authors keep a copy of published papers on their personal website or that of their institution. A good way of finding these is to google* the full title of the paper, perhaps adding the term 'PDF'. You'd be surprised how often that produces a hit of the very same paper that costs a lot of money elsewhere. Sometimes it is not the definitive version but a late draft, but even that can be helpful if you're interested in the detail
  2.  If this fails, try out sci-hub. This is a site set up in reaction to the stranglehold publishers have over the access to research results (almost all of which has been paid for by public money). (Read this article on The Big Think to find out more about it.)
    You can generally search by title, but also by URL of the original, paywalled article, or the DOI. It is rare for an article not to be available there. (Note that the legal status of sci-hub is dubious.)

*: other search engines are of course available :-)

• Jonny

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

29 Jun, 2017 09:58

Thanks Koen, that's really useful. I'd add that CIPD members can access a pretty good range of journals thru the EBSCO database - see www.cipd.co.uk/.../journals or hover over the 'Knowledge hub' tab on our website & you'll see 'Online journals'.

More broadly, what do others find useful as ways of getting a handle on research evidence? Interested to hear, and to know what people think is missing.
  • In reply to Jonny:

Hi Koen,

Would also add that membership of Center for Evidence-Based Management grants access to the most relevant management databases, and annual fee equals cost of access to a single paper from a publisher. Worth a deal?

www.cebma.org/.../

Replying to Jonny, I find useful to apply the search filters on search engines to find more trustworthy and relevant search results. For instance, if I am looking to get a sense of state-of-the-art research on diversity training, I will apply the filter to syntheses of research coupled with my keywords (I.e., diversity AND training)

TI(meta-analy*) OR AB(meta-analy*) OR TI("systematic review") OR AB("systematic review")

www.cebma.org/.../
  • In addition, many authors post on www.researchgate.net/home
    Some are right there and others need to be requested. But some have extensive publications right there in full text. check out Allan church as one author example:
    www.researchgate.net/.../Allan_Church