Sustainable travel policy

Hi,

We are considering reviewing our travel policy to support our objective for improved sustainability.  

Currently, we have a mix of company car drivers, car allowance, and no car or allowance employees across our businesses. 

We have in recent months seen a vast reduction in business travel, but anticipate that this will increase in the coming months as lockdown rule ease.

Employees commute to work via a number of methods, some of our sites have car parking available, others do not.  We do offer a bike to work scheme for employees, and in the past supported with annual railcard purchase, which employees pay back monthly.

Employees if they have to travel for work utilise a mix of train, plane, and private and hire car journeys.  In some instances, those with a car allowance would hire a car (which to me seems like a double benefit, but that might just be me)

I would be grateful to hear if you have changed your policy recently to reflect a green sustainability objective, did you consider any rewards/benefits for employees opting for a more sustainable journey.  What were your main changes and have the changes implemented made a difference, how do you measure the benefit?

thanks in advance

Lynne

• Hi Lynne

Have you considered electric vehicles? Where there is car parking available, you could install charging points.

If you try a search, you will find this is a subject that has come up a couple of times.

• Could you build on the current reduction in work-related travel to look at keeping this to a minimum even when things are safer? Perhaps look at the reasons people were previously travelling and the alternatives explored during the pandemic so far and any that can be adopted for the future. As well as the environmental benefit, it could bring benefits to employee wellbeing and reduce company travel costs too.
    For company car drivers, is it possible to look at introducing lower emissions options only?
  • Depending on the size of your workforce and where they live you could also introduce car-sharing for the commute with someone in HR co-ordinating (or perhaps it can be done via an intranet?).
  • In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Hi Lynne,
    Worth considering the environmental impact of electric cars, particularly if replacing existing cars with electric or choosing electric cars over more sustainable options like public transport.

The carbon emissions and lithium mining involved in producing electric cars, not to mention the source of the electricity (e.g. from fossil fuels) means this is often not the most environmentally sound choice.

I would suggest always offering incentives for bike, train or other public transport or transport sharing options.