Sick Pay, starting from scratch

Hi all - I wonder if someone in the know could help?

We are a quick-growing start up, just getting to grips with all of our policies and procedures. I'm nearly there but want to get my knowledge/facts right on sick pay. At the moment our old generic employment contracts state the following:

"During such absence the Employer will pay the Employee as contractual sick pay, the difference between the Employee's statutory sick pay and the employee's full pay, thereby bringing the Employee's wage up to the level of full pay, provided the Employer will pay a maximum of £5,500.00 (GBP) to the Employee as contractual sick pay in any 12-month period, the period commencing on the first day for which the Employee is paid contractual sick pay. Any statutory sick pay will be calculated on the basis of the Employee's usual work days, being Monday to Friday"

I have many questions!

1. Am I right in thinking that the government no longer pay SSP? But that this government-stated rate now has to come from the company? So our statement above no longer makes sense?

2. Is Contractual sick pay a figure the company chooses? 

3. When does SSP or contractual start? How long does someone have to be sick for before it kicks in.

Thank you so so much for your help and apologies for our complete ignorance!

Best regards

Toria

• Hi Toria

1. Government still pays SSP.

2. Answers to these are all at this link www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay.

3. SSP starts as per the above criteria. Contractual sick pay can start whenever you want to, as long as it is consistently applied.

How many people are in your organisation and what's your growth like?
  • In reply to Sam:

Hi Sam, thanks.

Still a mine field to me. As the gov. page states 'if your company has a sick pay scheme' and 'see your employment contract' (both of which I am supposed to be creating!) I don't have the perspective/info I need from there.

And when it says its paid by your employer, does that mean we as an employer claim the SSP back?

As you are undoubtedly noticing, I really don't have any knowledge on this!

We now have 14 (although 3 are contracts) up from 5 one year ago. I don't know what the forecast is.

Best regards
    Toria
  • In reply to Sam:

Hi Sam

I would disagree with 1. You can no longer reclaim SSP from the goverment so it is the employer who pays this but at the rate set by the government - www.gov.uk/.../help-with-sick-pay
  • In reply to Kelly Hodkinson:

Thanks Kelly, yes I was fairly certain of this one.

So I am presuming that 'contractual sick pay' or our company scheme is anything above this. The term SSP in our case therefore becomes invalid.

I think we are getting there!
  • Welcome to the communities

I have never ever seen contractual sick pay described as a financial amount before - its very odd. I am not sure what behaviour it will drive doing it that way or what you gain - but it seems very complicated.

Sick pay is usually described as X days / weeks / months

Most smaller organisations would pay somewhere between 0 and 4 weeks sick pay with many at the bottom end

SSP as in the notes above doesn't start till day 3 - a few organisations apply this to OSP but usually where they have short term absence issues (often retail)

I think you ought to really think through the culture you want to achieve as OSP plays some part in setting this
  • In reply to Kelly Hodkinson:

Sorry Kelly, that's me quickly misreading the question - whoops! Thank you for pointing out :)
  • In reply to Sam:

No worries!
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith - thank you. Those are really useful comments. As you can see we are starting blind. And interesting to know that it is normally done in 'time' rather than amount. I am not sure where that original detail comes from. Possibly an accountant. Thanks again, I will arrange to involve the directors.