Employment Tribunal Panel

On behalf of a friend who is a claimant and whom I will support; (luckily) I have no experience of ETs, other than observing two or three many years ago; my friend is keen to have a panel hear her case, as opposed to one ET judge (the claim is unfair dismissal and age discrimination) - do you know the criteria required for requesting a 3 member panel? (Assuming this goes all the way, I will ensure I attend a couple of ETs to refresh my understanding of the process!)

All advice gratefully received.

• If it includes discrimination it will automatically have two lay members.
  • Not sure that it's 'criteria' as such, but there are a number of claims whereby the tribunal composition can be limited to 1 (ie the judge) e.g holiday pay claims, unpaid wages claims, redundancy payment claims, and since 2013 unfair dismissal claims. Given that the claim your friend has is both UD and age discrimination, I'd think it likely that the tribunal would be a panel (ET judge plus 2 lay members) . In terms of prep - it's worth having a look at as much guidance as you and your friend can - here's a good starting point, but there's plenty more if you do a search:
    www.citizensadvice.org.uk/.../
    And I distinctly remember from a while ago there's at least one book which is designed for litigants in person (although i can't remember its name - another search!)
  • In reply to Ann Simpson:

Found it. It's called Employment Claims without a lawyer: a handbook for litigants in person
  • In reply to Ann Simpson:

Thank you Ann - very helpful