Volunteer Policy

I am looking to introduce a simple volunteer policy and process. We did have an external organisation pitch their platform to us to support the programme but at a cost of £80k plus ongoing annual fees. I’m thinking there must be a simple way to do this in house, identifying a charity or type of charity to support or allowing employees to choose something that is close to their heart. Initially I would like to introduce 1 paid volunteer day per year which could be taken as an individual or a team could do something together. Has anyone had experience introducing something similar at their organisation and would be willing to share their learnings? Many thanks
  • We are a 5000 organisation and we introduced this. Minimal bureaucracy ( it’s booked using a code on the leave system). We have done broad guidelines. But that’s pretty much it. No massively long policy, if you are going to do this keep it simple and trust your people. It works well.
  • We introduced staff volunteering days a few years ago. We don't have a large take up (staff tend to use their copious annual leave instead). Like Keith we kept it fairly simple and just put the following paragraph in our staff handbook:

YMT recognises the value that volunteering brings, both in terms of staff CPD and supporting other charitable organisations. As such, YMT will support colleagues to act within paid work time for up to two days per year in the following activities:
    • School Governor duties
    • Duties relating to membership of Art/Heritage charity boards
    • Other volunteering activities for local charities (organisations must be regulated by the Charity Commission, recognised as charitable by HMRC or be a Community Interest Company)
    In all cases permission for leave must be granted by line managers in advance of the leave being taken and line managers must check that the organisation meets the criteria for volunteering leave. It is important for staff to make it clear that whilst they are volunteering, they are not representing YMT, nor is the Trust liable for the activities of these organisations.
    Requests for Volunteering Leave should be submitted as Other Leave via the BreatheHR system and are subject to approval by your line manager.