** You may notice some changes here... **

Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

1 Feb, 2022 11:01

Dear Community Members!

We updated the community platform overnight on 31st Jan/1st Feb. 

Most of the changes are hidden away from view in the 'backend', but you may notice some cosmetic improvements, too.

Most importantly, we are trialling a 'threaded post' view in one group - here.

Please let us know what you think.

• Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

10 Feb, 2022 10:06

In reply to Annabel:

It came with the recent software upgrade Annabel but there is the option to stick to what we had before. I have a personal theory that this voting functionality works better in a tech community when you can vote up helpful and relevant advice so it's easily found. So not as relevant on this type of forum...

• In reply to Johanna:

It does strike me as something put in because it was the web developers fancied doing it do not necessarily because it added anything to the users' experience, hence the question.  Others may love it!

• In reply to Annabel:

I'm not enjoying the threaded format either.  It works on something like Facebook, where I'm mostly only reading long threads full of comments for the popcorn value and can stop when I get bored without needing to read everything, but on the Communities, I like to make sure I've seen everything as we're talking about important things and the easiest way to know I've seen everything without having to re-read all the threads is to be certain that anything new is at the end.

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

FYI, I'm receiving widget notifications for this thread only.

• Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

10 Feb, 2022 13:23

In reply to Cass Clothier:

Hi Cass - to start a new post on International you need to navigate to the region first and then start it in the most appropriate one eg Middle East - hope this helps (we've removed the broken link you mentioned.)
    community.cipd.co.uk/.../

• In reply to Jacqueline:

Me neither re the threaded format - I may not be reading things correctly, but not being able to see the newest /latest posts without having to scan through the whole lot and check the dates / times of each seems a right pain to me. 

• Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

10 Feb, 2022 16:03

In reply to Cass Clothier:

Hi Cass, I replied further up - sorry for any confusion. We've removed the broken link and you need to start your new discussion in the relevant regional group so for example Middle East. That should work for you Thumbsup

• Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

10 Feb, 2022 16:08

In reply to David:

Yes I'm having same issue re chronology David! 

• In reply to Jacqueline:

Yes, I too much prefer it if the chronology is obvious.

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

11 Feb, 2022 09:38

In reply to Jacqueline:

There does seem to be a consensus emerging. I think as long as we have functionality allowing you to toggle between seeing the newset or oldest posts first... I sense we will revert. 

I'm hearing: keep it simple, stoopid... ;)

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

11 Feb, 2022 11:17

In reply to Annabel:

To be fair, it is somethijng we agreed to trial, but not sure it works for our community. We were cautious about it and are only testing it out in this Community Feedback group.

• More spam getting through since the improvements....

• In reply to Annabel:

To be fair I reported a couple a week or so before the update and a couple today, so it might not be to do with the update.  ;-)  Often they come through early in the morning, so it may be that Steve often gets to them before many members see them.

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

11 Feb, 2022 13:11

In reply to Jacqueline:

Yes, just saw two and zapped 'em.

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

The notifications thing has changed from being notified of those posts I have contributed to, or have other links into (like the Champions page) to seemingly getting notifications of every new post on site! I  have cancelled all the "subscriptions" and left my "notifications" as they have always been, selected on my "profile" page.

The "voting" issue worries me because whereas the "like" is a positive for any contributor or contribution, imagine the feelings of a first time posting student member getting a prompt and unexplained "dislike" from a Chartered F with several hundred posting listed! We want more members on site, not a "black ball" means of rejection!

Having our membership status linked is valuable, since it does give some quantitative authority to answers, rather than one having to "guess" whether the person responding (or asking) is speaking from years of experience or their first week of a level 3. We can all be wrong, whatever our grade, and I certainly don't feel my grade makes me "superior" in some way, but I think it is justifiable to suggest that our professional grades do have significance to our responses....Otherwise why do we have them at all?

...and to some degree so do our enumerated contribution to the site. I am all for personal equality, as I hope I have shown here frequently, but again, this is a professional site, not a social chat-room, and experience and qualification status is relevant (or should be)!

I hope that's of some value because at the moment this is he only thread I can access with any sort of reliability or confidence, and even this means a full log-in since I am getting no notifications for it, but still loads of random discussions from who knows where!

P