New here - Career change!

Hi everyone,

I’m new here and super excited to join the community.

I recently took the first step and quit my job in Marketing.  I’ve always wanted to move into HR and have been lucky enough to find a new role where HR admin makes up around 1/3 of the role and will be assisting an HR consultant who works for the company one day a week.  The rest of the role is Marketing, H&S and PA support etc.

I made it clear during the interview process that whilst my experience and knowledge is Marketing (10+ years at a decent level) I’d like to focus on HR and would be looking to study too.

My question here is around my future studies, do I need to start at level 3 or could I start at 5?  I did an HR admin role for a while but that was probably 12 years ago now.  I’ve always had an interest in HR so have no doubt I’ll find learning interesting and will enjoy the new challenges that study brings whilst gaining some experience on the go when I start my new job.  Is my previous non HR experience in any way relevant or would I be biting off more than I can chew if I attempt level 5?  If I had more time and unlimited funds I’d start at 3 without question but I don’t, I’m 40 years old and this has all been really daunting but I’m so excited to take the first step in gaining a job I enjoy, not just one that pays the bills.  What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

• Welcome to the communities and to the world of HR

There are a number of previous threads on this so a search might throw up some interesting advice.

There are two answers really. The one I prefer is that given that you haven't worked in HR for some time and that HR is only part of your role I would start at L3 and gain a great foundation. 

It will also help build your confidence and a network of people in similar roles.

The other is you could probably do L5 and get the award (many/most people could) so if you think you need L5 to get the "next" job then go for it. But be aware of what you are missing.  

• Thanks Keith.

I hadn’t considered that, that there would be some content I’d miss out on by skipping level 3?  I thought the content was similar but the difficulty rating was higher (I had a brief chat with a training provider yesterday)

I suspect I can grow the HR part of my new role and I’d hope to gain lots of experience there that might plug some gaps.  However, as you say given my HR experience is limited I don’t want to miss out on anything fundamental.  

• Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

9 Feb, 2022 15:07

Hi Kelly, welcome to the Community! Do give our helpful customer service team a call too - they will be able to give you some guidance on CIPD quals and where you may be able to pitch yourself, level wise. There's an abundance of content on the CIPD website about the profession too - a good place to explore is the Profession Map: https://peopleprofession.cipd.org/profession-map