(Just for fun) Favourite Business Metaphors

I wasn't 100% sure where to put this post. Do we need a "just for fun" group on top of all the other ones we already have?

I have a bit of fixation on business metaphors. I use far too many and it doesn't always help me communicate clearly, I know. But whilst some are just annoying ("singing from the same hymn sheet..." "Getting our ducks in a row...") others, whilst they may sometimes leave colleagues bemused, give me a personal delight that means they are often my go-to.

I thought I'd share three of my favourites and see if it's just me or if anyone else would like to share either good metaphors, silly metaphors or metaphors so bad that they become good.

The Peter Principle

Although it's technically a well-known idea I'm amazed how often even quite senior business leaders haven't heard of the idea of being "promoted to the point of incompetence". This is a useful metaphor whenever you're confronted with technical experts in leadership roles for which they aren't trained or equipped despite being brilliant in their technical field.

Directions to Dublin

From an old joke: an Englishman driving in Ireland and hopelessly lost in the back roads of County Wicklow stops to ask a local for directions to Dublin. After a long thought, the local replies "Well... I wouldn't start from here." This is a common feeling I have as an external consultant, asked to help see a complex or sensitive problem to a successful conclusion when the issue itself has been created by the business just repeatedly doing the wrong thing to make a simple problem harder to solve.

Underpants Gnomes

I love underpants gnomes. In an episode of South Park, gnomes are stealing the underpants of the people of South Park and the main characters go on a magical adventure to find out why. They discover that the underpants gnomes have a plan. The plan starts with (step 1) stealing underpants and ends with (step 3) PROFIT! but step 2 is just "???". This is a great metaphor in any situation in which a business has embarked upon a project with a clear goal in sight but where the actual connection between the work they are currently doing and their end goal is either nebulous or non-existent. For some reason, we see this a lot in HR, when senior leaders get excited about introducing some new faddy approach to appraisal or reward without ever articulating how this new approach is going to result in "PROFIT!"

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

25 Feb, 2022 11:40

This is as good a place as anywhere, I think :)

• To be honest I had no idea what two out of three of those meant and would have been totally bemused if you has used them in a meeting with me :-(

• I was introduced the other day to the idea of The Bike Shed Decision. You will very much have to forgive my shaky recollection of the technical bits of the anecdote but I'm sure you'll get the point!

You're building a nuclear reactor. The Nuclear Physicists talk about the things they need to make the reactor work. Everyone says ok and moves on. The Structural Engineers talk about the tunnels and funnels they need to build to make it safe. And everyone agrees and moves on. The mathematicians talk about the quantum computing that they will use to monitor the reactor. And everyone agrees and moves on. 

Then the building manager talks about the bike shed that's needed for people to get to work. And someone says it should be blue. And someone says it should be further away from the road. And someone says that we shouldn't have a bike shed at all, we should have more car parking. 

I find life in HR can be a bit like that. No one will question the chap who has the PhD in Computer Vision because you cannot understand the detail of his work because it's so technical. But everyone knows people and will weigh in with an opinion!

• In reply to Keith:

I know! I'm very bad at that sort of thing and have to watch myself. It's better when I've built a team around a shared vocabulary, but working as an itinerant consultant, these days, I don't have that luxury.

• In reply to Alys Martin:

Ha! Yes, I like this one. In my case, it was the smoking shelter.

• I often use "the blancmange layer" - for when the top-level leaders have big ideas, and/or the wider pool of employees have energy and enthusiasm - but the change gets stuck in between those two groups, in the blancmange layer (whether you describe that as the bureaucracy, or middle management, or whatever).

• I try to avoid using too much metaphor at work, as it can be less accessible to neurodivergent colleagues, colleagues from different ethnic or socio-economic backgrounds etc (I work in EDI, and manage a very diverse team).  That said, my favourite is the Duck Test - if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck, even if someone's trying to tell you it's an ostrich.  I find this one particularly relevant when discussing the external consultancies that are forever trying to flog us repackaged old ideas at an exorbitant price and call it innovation.

• I use the Dublin one a lot when we are discussing culture change - we have to start from the culture we are in whether we like it or not. The "Underpants gnomes" is fantastic - I will use that one

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

I agree, Steve. Slight smile