An opportunity for a renewed post pandemic relationship between employers and unions?

Hi all, I am HR student and would love to discuss your views on the the role of unions during and since the pandemic. As part of my course I have prepared an article with some thoughts. Is this an appropriate forum to post? 

• If it’s not for profit ( or seeking work as a consultant ) then post away.
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks Keith, definitely not for profit or work :)
  • In reply to Anna:

Either cut and paste your article into a post here, or share a link. I'd be happy to comment, as someone who's worked on both sides of the employment relationship.
  • In reply to Robey:

Hi Robey, thank you, a link below. Appreciate your input

• In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith

Thank you - not for profit just part of my course :)

• I think part of the challenge here is if in effect Trade Unions did play a bigger role during the pandemic at all (I am not sure there is any great evidence to support this) , and also if the structural changes (if they are long term) brought about by the pandemic (more remote and home working making it difficult to organise and recruit) actually will mitigate against increased Trade Union strength and organisation.

The other factor that is (to my mind pivotal) is the drastic differences in TU activity in membership between the Public and the Private Sector.

Whilst TU membership has increased in the last four years data is available, there are two caveats to this. Firstly, this brings it to only half its peak level of 1979 even though we have records numbers of people in the labour market now compared to then. And secondly that figure masks that TU membership is only growing in the public sector and is shrinking in the private sector and there  at 13% is only 1 in 8 (ish) employees.

Additionally, TU organisation and membership is tiny in some of those sectors of the economy most affected by the pandemic with 1 in 10 of the lowest paid and 1 in 20 in the hospitality sector. In those areas engaging with trade unions colleagues might be largely symbolic and unproductive as they are not the voice of the workforce. (Its an interesting question if  workforces now have a single voice that can be articulated?)

The employment law changes brought about to limit the power and influence of Trade unions are still in place and there is little or no appetite on either side of the political divide to drastically change them.

I see no real organisational or structural reasons in your article that suggest that private sector employers are (or will) look for a changed or renewed relationship with Trade Unions and I have yet to see any evidence that employees will turn to Trade Unions (in the private sector) to represent them and collectively articulate their grievances.

So whilst one may hope for a more balanced approach to all stakeholders built around a strong and more even collective approach I am really not sure we are heading that way (and arguably for all the noise and bluster about P&O the trade unions have yet to demonstrate they can effectively intervene)

• In reply to Keith:

Thank you Keith, that's really helpful
  • In reply to Anna:

Link not seen, Anna.
  • In reply to Robey:

It was there :-) must have been edited out for some reason