Engaging new starter manual

Hi everyone, 

I am putting together a new starter manual. I want it to be as useful and relevant as possible. The idea is that this will be separate from the contract/statement of terms and will be more of a fun document. 

It would be good to hear of some ideas that others wish they knew before they joined a company such as personal development budget, the dress code, what their first day would look like, where can I get lunch etc. However random! 

Thanks Slight smile

• Although it's very specific for a particular company at a particular time, you might like to check out this example:

vdocuments.net/valve-employee-handbook.html

It's rather dated now, and the US company that wrote it has moved away from the hyper-flexible model it adopted in those days, but it does offer an approach to a "settling in" document that's designed to be fun and useful to read.

The other thing you may want to consider is avoiding a written guide entirely and doing something like a POV video, although it might need some professional input.
  • In reply to Robey:

Thanks Robey. Yes I like the idea of POV videos and I'm considering it to accompany the document.
  • Hi Sophie,

I think new starter docs are invaluable, and a great way to introduce organisational values from day 1.

I think a bit of background into the company, but from a fun angle, can be a nice touch. In the past I've added photos of the MD in a punk rock band from the 80's, or photos of the pet dogs who visit the office etc.

If it's a large building, a map can be handy. At one business we provided a blank map and got new starters to fill in sensible things (fire exits, alarm points, the loos, watercooler etc), as well as silly things (snack table, secret snack drawer, best parking space etc.) This was handy for getting newbies to talk to their colleagues.

I find uniform guides can be very vague as well, which really doesn't help with more introverted, anxious new starters prepping for their first days, so the more detail the better on that one.

I like to add a really clear, inclusive pastoral message in there too, encouraging people to speak up / ask / communicate if they have any needs which aren't being met.

Also, practical advice like who to tell / where to store medication, if there is a dedicated prayer space / where to store their prayer mat, where they can go for some peace and quiet if they have a migraine etc. A good place to start with this may be to ask existing employees what their fave top tips / work hacks are.
  • A popular thing I added to mine from the "Before Times" was an office seating plan. Yes they know they have a meeting with Bob but where on earth is he? What does he look like?