Moving workstations

OK so I'm likely being petty but I would like some professional opinions on this. I started a new job 1 month ago, the girl who I replaced (she left for another job) is coming back on Monday as she didn't like the new job. As I was her replacement, I was working at her desk and had it all set up and used to it. Now that's she's coming back I've been told that I'm being moved "somewhere", "we haven't got the logistics worked out yet" as she will be back at the desk she was originally at. Am I being petty in thinking that she should be the one who will be working "somewhere". She was in the job 3 months and left for a new job and is now coming back 1 month later, so to me that sort of unreliability or whatever, surely they should be a bit more accommodating of me.

• Maybe not what you want to hear, but I would be focusing on impressing and keeping my job, rather than what desk I sat in. Clearly if you replaced her and she’s coming back then they may be slightly over staffed. May not be an issue hopefully…

So focus on doing a great job and not on desks
  • Thanks Keith. My main concern is that I am being moved from the main office so will have less learning opportunities(though I don't think I mention this in my post, it's more of a rant) I will be apart from my colleagues so will need to ask them to leave what they are doing, and come down stairs to show me how to do something, which I know will be a massive inconvenience for all involved. Wondering if I should mention this on Monday, and if so, how could I bring it up
  • In reply to Michelle:

Yes you were clearly upset. And it’s important you park that and are measured and balanced in your responses. They have made this decision both to bring them back and to give them “their” old desk. I have no idea why but that’s where they are.

By all means approach it from a position of supporting training and efficiency. Suggest desk sharing or other solutions. But approach it not just from your point of view ( which I do empathise with) but from theirs.
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

27 May, 2022 08:34

I can see how you feel Michelle, none of it sounds ideal, but perhaps best to go with the flow and with a smile on this one. We don't even have set desks any more where I work, you have to book one if you come into the office and in a way it's quite freeing that you can sit anywhere. If you have practical concerns about the logistics and difficulties arising as a result, best to mention these to your manager so you can both work on a solution. Keep us posted on how you're getting on :)
  • urgh. i also agree with the others in theory but in my absolute honesty, i would look for another job when i still have my ball recently rolled. it's not just that you are being moved but somehow being the victim of this favouritism or whatever, i wouldn't want to work in such place where they don't consider and value their new emoloyee.
  • I think my concern would be less about desks but more about defining job roles as you will both need clarity around your responsibilities to avoid confusion. They clearly needed only one person for the job so not sure now what they will do with two? It seems strange to take someone back on when they were also only there for 3 months before deciding to leave? How do they know she is still going to stay? Difficult to know without the background. Either way I would have some concerns about your employers judgement given they offered you the job and presumably you left a job to join them. I would have expected HR or someone to have worked out upfront what each of you would be doing and how it would work and have consulted with you both to ensure you were both comfortable.