Should I talk to the MD?

Hi All,

I have a situation  that I would appreciate your advice on.  I work for a small engineering company which is managed by four directors.  Two of these are shareholders and it is their father's company - one is the MD (also Sales Director) and the other the Chairman (also IT and Operations Director).  The other two directors are Engineering and Finance and HR Director(FD).  Reporting to the FD is myself (HRBP) and our Finance Controller (FC).

As a company we are striving to move from the parent/child model to a 'manager empowerment' model and the FD regularly refers to his emphatic belief in this.

I work quite closely with the FC for obvious reasons.  I have been with the company for almost three years and in those three years the FC regularly talks about her relationship with the FD.  She has over the years told me about ways in which the FD undermines her authority.  So for example he tells her his opinions about members of her team and makes it clear when she doesn't manage them the way he would or thinks she should.  He also tells her about his approach to managing our US team (which he is currently caretaking whilst the new GM gets up to speed) - he tells her that he is promoting one of the operations assistants into a finance accountant role but if she doesn't get up to speed in the timeframe  that he expects her to, she will be out - and he can do that in the US.  When I talk to him about the way he is approaching that, he tells me that he has fully consulted, has notes and is giving support.  She also tells me that he has been supportive.  

Up until recently, the conversations with the FC have been anecdotal and part of wider 'solving the problems of the company' type chats that she and I have, but in the last month or so, she has talked about managers needing emotional guidance to deal with the way the company treats it's employees.  She has always referred to her relationship with the FD as a marriage and they have marital bust-ups that they always de-brief about and move on afterwards.  She tells me that she likes him as a personal and doesn't think he means to undermine her deliberately, but she's now talking about 'divorce'.  

The FD has told her that his life plan means that he will move on soon but in a conversation with me last week, she said that she is worried he might have changed his mind and might also be considering how he can manoeuvre her out of her role.  She likes him, she is worried about his mental state, but she also needs to protect herself.

The truth is, I have experienced a level of undermining myself from the FD but not to the same extent - he has told me for example that he will attend a meeting to observe the discussion and will 'try and keep my mouth shut'.  He means that he will let others speak rather than telling they are wrong because he has a beef with them, but I also feel he is observing me and testing my abilities too.

So far I have suggested that the FC keeps notes of all conversations with the FD but this doesn't feel enough.  Should I be giving the MD a heads up about my concerns? I feel I should in case things go sour, but in the absence of a formal complaint is this fair?  I'm torn but feel that absorbing information and not acting in some way isn't right

• I don't think the issue here is a formal complaint or not.

The issue is what real evidence or strong belief do you have? Managers giving their opinions on their subordinates (even one step removed) isn't uncommon. Its not necessarily under mining at all.

The FD changing his mind on retiring / moving on is hardly unusual.

Observing your reports while potentially unsettling isnt again necessarily even that odd.

And what evidence does she have to question his mental state at all? That seems very left field

The US thing is indeed common over there in some businesses.

So I would (if I were you) be clear on what you will be raising with the MD, and what actual examples you can use to support it. Make sure (I am not saying they are not) that they are robust enough and also if possible backed up by other examples than just the FC who "may" not have an unbiased view.
  • First, your colleagues, including the FC, need to stop using you as therapist. Your job is for the business and they need to appreciate that they can't disclose stuff like this to you "in confidence". If someone says to *you*, the HRBP, that they feel like X is undermining them, then they have just raised a grievance. You should then follow that up with questions like "and what do you want done about that?" or "and how would you like this to be resolved?"

You need to make it clear that they can't just dump stuff on you. If they bring you a problem, you are professionally obligated to act on it, even if it involves a complaint about a Director. You don't have to wait for a "formal complaint" and, in fact, mustn't.

To an extent, this is retroactive. But in this situation, it sounds a lot like you've been their choice of "moaning board" (it's like a sounding board, but they don't care what you have to say back), so I would be inclined to draw a line under this and make it clear now that they can't do this any more. They can complain, of course, but it must be as part of a dialogue about resolution and redress, not just to get stuff off their chest. If they need to do that, perhaps you could look at commissioning an EAP if you don't have one already.

In your situation - as I have been, with a very similar, family-owned business - I would also have a talk with the MD, but less about the relationship between the FD and the FC and more about whether you should be reporting directly to the MD.
  • In reply to Robey:

Thanks Robey. I do find it hard to be a one man band in a small company and stick rigidly to not being a sounding board! I was appointed to work with the company and it's managers and to be integrated rather than a separate 'service'. I lead the H&S group and employee engagement group; I have been leading on the pulling together of the covid response and I manage facilities. Perhaps that 'integration' plan wasn't clearly thought out as I am also completely exhausted with all the project work, HRIS implementation etc. I am too compliant and don't say no or push back often enough. Something the FD has also been trying to encourage me to do more of. Food for thought.....
  • In reply to Jo:

I was in a very similar role a few years ago, without the added complication of a team in the US. My weird stuff included negotiating a new mobile phone contract (saved the company £20k over three years), trying to break into a company vehicle with a metal pole (harder than you'd think!), cleaning soiled toilet walls, and re-wiring the ethernet for the entire office.