Investors in People

Hi all,

Be interested to hear your views on the continued relevance of the IIP accreditation. Do you find find it is a significant feature when  recruiting talent? Has anyone any experience with the Great Place to Work certification? 

• There are some historic threads if you search.....IiP was good for a time...that time (IMO) isn't now and hasn't been for some time.

In reality I do wonder how many candidates actually are attracted to particular employers by any of these schemes. they do no harm but do they really do much good?
  • In reply to Keith:

thanks Keith I'm steering towards that conclusion, Just when you have it ( we are Gold) not sure on the implications of leaving the process. we have a year to decide though
  • In reply to Clare:

I walked away in a previous employer and no one noticed
  • Hi Clare

For some years I worked alongside many IiP contract managers and assessors etc and closely too with quite a few employers who had gained IiP accreditation. Some of those that did so were in reality some of the very worst exploiters of their people that I have ever encountered and overall the experience made me pretty sceptical of the real-life value of IiP 'status'.
  • Hi Claire - we have just gone through the Great Place To Work certification.

Whilst a bit of healthy cynicism about a paid-for certification process is probably sensible, the employee engagement survey and subsequent data/feedback from employees is still valid, useful for making improvements, and when they see the overall results, a reminder for employees that they do genuinely work for a good company - their own feedback supports that.

I started the Great Place To Work process on the basis that we wanted to carry out a well-put together employee engagement survey, which we were prepared to spend money on setting up - the ‘certification’ and subsequent awards lists being a bonus but not the key motivator.

Great Place To Work have offered good support throughout the process, have a useful platform for carrying out the survey and accessing the data, and offer good benchmarking given that a large number of companies go through the survey process each year.
  • Hi Clare

I would agree with the points made by others, I think the value has diminished somewhat, and I don't think it has much impact on talent attraction (if it ever did). However it can still be useful in terms of putting in some structure if an organisation is missing this (around leadership, structuring work, managing performance etc), although will you being gold, that's not applicable in your case.

Before discontinuing I would recommend checking with some other internal stakeholders, for example your Commercial/Bid Teams. One of the drivers to retain it in my business is that accreditation is apparently still well received in commercial bids, particularly for Government/public sector contracts (even though some Govt deps have discontinued accreditation themselves....).

Joe