Part time -annual leaves

Hi fellas, 

I need to know, how the annual leaves works for part time employees, working 20 hours and 5 days a week. 

The student is on 40 hours contract from Aug till November after November he will be a part time employee. 

Employee wants to go on holidays of 3 weeks in November, how we should be calculating his holidays? 

Because till November he will be accruing 6 days of Holidays only and he is demanding 3 weeks holidays. 

Kindly advise. 

• First thing - when does your holiday year end and how much holiday per year do full time employees get? We'll need to know that to help you do the calculation.
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

HI Jacqueline,
    28 holidays and they ends on March 23.
  • In reply to Sahrish:

OK, not knowing the date he started in August or changes hours in November, I've just calculated his annual leave entitlement from 1 Dec to 31 March which is a period of 121 days which if you divide by 365 is 0.33 of a full year. A full time. full year holiday entitlement is 28 days x 8 hours = 224 hours, so a full year entitlement for half those hours would be 112 hours. Multiply 112 by 0.33 and you get 37 hours.

If he wants to use those hours in November (when he works 8 hours per day) he'll get just over 4.5 days. Added to his 6 days, he only gets ten days - which is only 2 weeks, not 3.

If you're happy for him to use all his leave entitlement for the year, he can get two weeks paid leave and one week's unpaid leave. If you're not happy for him to use more than he has accrued up to November, he can take 6 days paid leave and 9 days unpaid leave.

Of course you don't have to let him take three weeks at once if you can't cover it - most places usually let staff take two weeks at a time unless it's a special occasion.

Hope that helps

Jackie
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

thank you so much, it helped me alot to calculate this now.
    Many thanks for your prompt response.
    Cheers,
    Sahrish