Request to review starting salary and the legal implications

Hi

We have recently had a senior lecturer requesting their starting salary be reviewed as they said that their experience was not taken into account on salary assessment when they were hired 18 months ago. The manager who was interviewing 18 months ago no longer works with us and the new manager needs to consider the request. Just wondering what would be your advice here. I can see few legal implications around equal pay but just wondered what would your thoughts be. Thank you in advance!

• To me, this sounds more like a normal salary review request than a review of someone's starting salary - given they joined 18 months ago (and presumably didn't question the starting salary?). I would treat it as such.
  • In reply to Maya:

Hi Maya

Thanks for your comment. I agree and that is how I would approach this and that is what my initial advice was to the manager. I found that a bit unreasonable given they signed contract and so agreed to proposed pay.
  • No.

Their starting salary was in their contract and they accepted it when they turned up for work. If there was an issue with it, with respect to equal pay legislation, their opportunity to raise this was their first three month's of employment.

If they have an equal pay issue with their salary *now* then they can raise that about their salary *now*. They don't get to backdate their issues.