Dealing with “the dinosaurs”

Hello Looking for some advice on how to deal with that senior leader who is so off the current pace that they even call themselves a dinosaur? I am a HR lead and this week presented a new mental health initiative to the senior mgmt team. Unfortunately this was met by one leader with a jokey attitude and comments of “I’m a dinosaur I know but if it gets the snowflakes back to work then crack on I’d like to tel them to man up” I’m not completely new to this viewpoint and thankfully it’s in the minority but I find it so frustrating and insulting to deal with. How would you combat? We don’t work in the same office so can’t really do a face to face conversation. I don’t think he means harm but just isn’t of the attitude that we should need to bother with these things (even though it was no cost!) Would love to hear peoples thoughts and experiences thank you!
  • Hi Alison, I completely understand your frustration! Is there a certain degree of it that's bluster/making a big joke but actually in reality they wouldn't be so insensitive towards their team if someone was ill?

I think a possible way of approaching it might be using facts and figures - show them information on time lost for mental health issues and the cost of that to businesses. If they are less receptive from a wellbeing stance, perhaps appealing to the actual business cost might put it in a different context for them. I'd also mention the impact that it might have on engagement and productivity and show that mental health issues may well constitute a disability and it won't be much fun defending their attitude in a tribunal.

Could you have a video call with them to talk it through even if you can't meet in person? Or getting their boss to have a word? Senior management buy in is going to be so important for your initiative and you really don't need them undermining you if everyone else is on board.
  • You aren't in a position to deal with this person. That has to come from above them. If they are a senior manager, there must be an even more senior manager, director, CEO or other executive who is in a position to take them aside and say:

"We value your experience, but saying stuff like that makes you look like you're an ignorant sexist. Oh, I'm sorry did I hurt your feelings? Take your own medicine and man the **** up, snowflake!"
  • Hi Alison,

There may be some danger here of not seeing all points of view or perhaps mis-reading the person.

He is clearly older than you (otherwise he would not be describing himself as a dinosaur - which I have seen worn as a badge of pride indicating time served experience) and likely has learnt through his personal experience to see and deal with metal health issues differently to younger generations. Sometimes that might seem to make light of a situation but where in reality it is understood and also the business consequences understood. The anticipated hard-line approach may in not be there when confronted face to face with a real situation. Alternatively, it just may be that he has an old school paternalistic/authoritarian approach akin to "get on or get out".

Clearly I was not in the room but your noting he says to "crack on" might indicate he recognises that years ago telling someone to "man up" or "get a grip" was acceptable or indeed normal but for many staff nowadays this would not work or be insulting. Did he actually say you should not bother or is that you reading that meaning?

As with all culture change initiatives some resistance is inevitable but sometimes those who don't appear to be supportive at the start can become incredibly helpful/supportive later on.

I would not recommend getting his boss to have a word with him until you have tried other approaches - beware of creating an active barrier instead of a passive one.

The stand out piece of advice I have ever had was to NOT avoid "one on one" conversations with others to establish meaning and rapport even when I felt that was the last person I wanted to speak with.

Do you know any other members of the leadership team well enough to ask if you are reading him correctly? You might find out something you didn't know or find an ally in approaching both him and the initiative.
  • Unfortunately this was met by one leader with a jokey attitude and comments of “I’m a dinosaur I know but if it gets the snowflakes back to work then crack on I’d like to tel them to man up”

Sounds to me  like a bit of a joke.  I see nothing particularly wrong in describing yourself as a dinosaur and  for the remainder of his comment, perhaps he's one of the many who aren't afraid to say what they really think even if it upsets the 'woke'.  As you say, he has a jokey attitude.  He didn't actually say it to someone who had mental health issues, nor did he object to  your suggestions did he?

There are lots of people who'd suggest illegal methods of dealing with criminals/crime for exampleMost people often say what they'd like to do, in situations, but in reality they would not do so.  ie, "If I get my hands on him I'd give 'em a clip around the ears"  -- Its just said in jest.

Speak to him if you think you need to and if you think he'll listen.