Occupational health

Good morning HR community, This is my first post on here having recently moved into an HR generalist role. My question is at what point do you refer an employee to occupational health? Would it be before or after accessing support from their GP and EAP? The reason I ask is due to an increase in the number of managers taking leave due to anxiety and there isn’t really a clear process in place for the management of this nor the support for these individuals. Many thanks, Cath
  • I would now rarely use a GP and would only use a good robust OH professional.
    GPs are patient advocates and it is rare to get good info from them.
    I know little about EAPs but would take a pragmatic view depending on the circumstances and what the EAP contract says.
  • Hi Cath

Sounds as this approach might be trying to treat the individual casualties a bit better instead of removing the underlying cause of the carnage.

The cost to the business of all this can be immense, let alone the human misery it causes, so suggest first trying to identify exactly what's causing so much anxiety and possible ways of ameliorating that problem