Part time annual leave office closure

Hi all,

The office is closing for the 3 days between Christmas and New Years - 28th, 29th, 30th, and is giving those days to staff as extra leave (on top of allowance).

We have three part time employees, how does this leave work for them? Do we have to make any adjustments to their annual leave allowance as they are getting more days that their part-time hours?  They are 0.6FTE. 

I.e. Wed 28th - pro-rata = 0.6, they get 1 day leave, so -0.40 remaining 

Any help would be appreciated. 

• I think you have different options and it can depend on their working pattern and how you allocate leave for part time folk at the moment.

If they are .6 and normally work monday, tuesday and wednesday, then the thursday and friday are their non working days anyway. So if you credit them with .6 of 3 days worth of hours, they will have some left over. But if someone normally works wednesday, thursday and friday, they will owe some.

The fairest way is to calculate it in hours and they then deduct the number of hours they actually have to book off. If you already do leave this way for part time folk this is the easiest, as people will be used to that process.

The alternative is just to say that you are closed that period and whatever your working pattern, you just don't have to come in. As with many things in our world, you will have some people happy and some people unhappy.
  • I would tend to recommend Teresa's second option in cases like this.

Effectively, those days aren't "holidays" in the contractual sense. They are a discretionary closedown. The office isn't open. People don't get to choose to come to work if they want to. It's more like additional weekend days (of which, of course, everyone takes two per week regardless of their contractual hours).

There are some legal technicalities that could be argued over this solution but the odds of one of these part-timers complaining about free days off are so small that you can safely ignore them.

• Thank you Teresa and Robey for your advice.

Much appreciated.