New Community 'look and feel'...

Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

19 Apr, 2023 11:39

You will have spotted by now that the Community has a completely new fresh coat of paint. 

We've not changed any functionality and we've thoroughly tested, etc... but if you spot any howlers and things we have overlooked, please do let me know below!

Thank you.

ps while I've got you, do also let me know what you like (and don't like) about our Community. I'm always very keen to hear how people use it and how it is a valued peer-to-peer support platform Slight smile

• Hello Steve,
    The 'new fresh coat of paint' looks very good. Looking out to see if anything has changed.

Keep up the good work!!!
  • I like the colours, but I'm not a fan of the default font at all. I'm not dyslexic, but it still messes with my reading fluency compared to the old one.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

19 Apr, 2023 12:15

In reply to Robey:

Not my call, but I am already getting used to it.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

So we want your feedback, but not that feedback...? :-)
  • On the app, it doesn’t look like much has changed except avatars… maybe I need to log out and back in again!
  • In reply to Robey:

Robey, that was exactly my thought too. I am dyslexic and also have some vision problems and I find the new font difficult to read. I think it's because it's a 'seriph' font, not a 'sans seriph'. Is that the right word for the twiddle bits at the top and bottom of letters? ;-)
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

19 Apr, 2023 12:59

In reply to Maya:

The mobile app hasn't changed yet but will do. Still testing.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

19 Apr, 2023 13:00

In reply to Annabel:

That's not what I meant at all, Annabel :)

I will certainly pass on this feedback.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

I would agree re font - i find the weight of the strokes too little so appears a but grey and hard to skim read - although if i put glasses on it is better ( i usually only wear them if I am reading a lot of paper based text in one go)
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

"Serif" Jacqueline, but close enough. ;) Yes, it is widely believed that serif fonts are harder for some people to read, especially those with dyslexic traits. However, it's not universal. Times New Roman, for example, continues to be the international standard for printed texts and presents dyslexic readers with few problems. But it then proves hard to read on illuminated screen devices.

It's also widely believed that Comic Sans is easier for dyslexic readers, but there's surprisingly little evidence to support this myth. There are a number of fonts developed specifically for dyslexic accessibility but they are barely used outside educational contexts because they tend to be perceived as childish or unprofessional.

Microsoft and Google have mostly adopted Calibri as their default text and I believe it or a close relative was the old default text for the forum. Unfortunately, in graphic design circles, familiarity breeds contempt and there seems to be a trend to push Calibri in the direction previously taken by Arial which might be the motivation behind the change here.
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

19 Apr, 2023 14:33

In reply to Ian:

thanks for the feedback Ian
  • Another vote for the "I don't like the new font" feedback I'm afraid. It's giving me a bit of a headache. I'm also not keen on the layout of the discussion page - the stark white background with just the purple headache inducing font for each discussion title isn't particularly easy to focus on as a list. It needs something to separate each discussion thread I think.
  • All looking good to me so far!

General feedback for the community I would say though is that I don't think that this forum is highlighted enough as a resource to people who have a CIPD qualification. I've received some really excellent help from people on here and it has become a really good resource for me. I'm a member of a few HR professional groups on facebook and often when I see people ask questions (with very varied responses - some of them not very helpful!), I wish they knew about this as a resource.
  • Feels very informal compared to the last coat of paint. I guess I'll get used to it.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

19 Apr, 2023 19:31

In reply to Rhianna:

Thanks very much for that feedback, Rhianna.