How to have effective communication with staff member

Query from a line manager who is regularly getting emails from a staff member starting with "I was looking for you a few times yesterday, but could not find you and was later told you were not in". The line manager works from home 1 day per week, and gets emails along these lines every week, yet while the line manager is on site the staff member never requires any additional assistance. Line manager is always contactable by email. This is creating a feeling that the line manager is actually answerable to the staff member and also is deliberately trying to suggest to the line manager that other staff are discussing her attendance. The line manager is unsure how to address this. The staff member is notoriously difficult so an email response would be best. TIA
  • I wouldn't use email. You are simply playing along with their game.

I"d suggest the manager and someone with a bit of confidence and/or authority sits down with this staff member and confronts them with their e-mail game and simply challenges them. And then tells them that if they persist, in e-mailing queries about the manager's absences the company will simply consider disciplinary action.