Staff gossiping and caught lying

Hi

Not sure where to post this. I am fairly new to HR and have come across a situation where we have an employee who is extremely good at her job but is a terrible gossip. A few weeks ago she spread rumours about something that was told to her in confidence by a director.

She divulged this to her line manager who then went to Director to clarify, who denies ever saying anything and would never discuss that type of thing in a general meeting.

When the member of staff was questioned about it she point blank said she never said anything to the line manager and she must be wrong.

However, she also told the rumour to another member of staff as well.

I've questioned all involved and it is plain that she is lying but I am unsure how to proceed.

Any help, suggestions???

• First step would be to have a meeting with her and call her out on her behaviour

Second step if carries on would be disciplinary action
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks, I did that and have it recorded as her saying point blank - no never said a thing I wouldn't do that.
  • For a first offence then I'd simply do as Keith suggests and have a firm chat with her and mention that if it happens again you may consider disciplinary action.

I'd also tell her that the director will no longer be indulging in 'confidential' chats with her - do mention this to the director. :-)

• Two people saying they have heard a confidential fact from the same source suggests that she has gossiped and is now lying to cover this up. Depending on how obvious it would have been to her that she should not have shared these facts and/or whether this was a first offence etc, would impact on whether the conversation with her that follows was an informal or formal process.

However, your issue here is surely with the Director, who has similarly told someone who (on the face of it) has no business knowing. Is s/he similarly being spoken to?

Good luck.

Nina
  • In reply to Lisa:

The balance of probabilities says that she did say it, so her denial is irrelevant. She should be informally warned and the warning recorded in writing. She has no right of appeal against such a warning. She can deny it all she likes. The warning stands. If she never did it and never does it again she will suffer no detriment and everyone can get on with their lives. If she did do it but never does it again, then the same thing applies. Whether she did it or not, if she gets caught lying in the future, she will face a formal sanction.
  • In reply to Robey:

Thanks Robey, On reflection I think that is the route we are going down. We've down a formal investigation and got everything in writing from all parties so feel that we need to move forward and keep an eye out for anything else in the future.