Buddy program - need to pay extra

Hi,

I need some help.
Our company operates on a freelance contract basis. We have a bonus system, incorporating feedback and a takt timer, allowing recruiters to earn additional money based on their performance.

Additionally, we have a buddy program in which existing team members help onboard new recruits. However, serving as a 'buddy' is time-consuming and currently, we do not provide extra compensation for this task.

We are contemplating if we should provide extra pay for those undertaking the 'buddy' role, given that it results in more productive and higher-performing employees. Alternatively, we are considering creating a full-time position dedicated to this onboarding process. On the other hand, some argue that assisting new team members should be part of an employee's regular duties, without additional compensation.

We would appreciate guidance on the most effective approach. How can we best manage this 'buddy' system? Is it more beneficial to offer extra pay, create a full-time role, or consider this task as part of an employee's regular responsibilities? We're looking for the optimal solution.

Thank you,
Danute

• This is the first time I have heard of a company which puts the responsibility for onboarding to staff rather than on the organisation.

If the model for increasing income is reduced by helping other staff members then why would the company expect staff to reduce their income to benefit the organisation.

My guess is that the person who suggested staff should act as a buddy and loose income is a manager.

On a minor note, not sure I understand how tatk time is used for a bonus, tatk time is the pace of the process and outside the influence of workers. Forgive me if I have misunderstood this.
  • Hi Danute,
    The buddy system offers several advantages, and I have taken it upon myself to make it an enjoyable experience for employees. However, I do not support giving extra income/compensation for same instead, we can make it non-monetary award. I personally created buddy program, sharing details, as it might give an idea:
    To ensure fairness, employees have the opportunity to self-nominate, and the final selection is shared with leaders since not everyone can be a buddy. We provide training to equip employees with the necessary skills, investing in their growth and development, and even awarding them a certificate upon completion of a one-day training session. As part of our onboarding process, every new employee is assigned a buddy for their first week. This buddy provides support and guidance during the initial days, helping the new joiner acclimate to the company culture and job responsibilities. To evaluate the effectiveness of the buddy support, new joiners are encouraged to rate their buddy's assistance after the week concludes. To foster ongoing engagement and motivation, we organize quarterly buddy awards accompanied by a celebratory lunch. This recognition serves as an incentive for employees to actively participate in the buddy system. By acknowledging their efforts, we create a positive atmosphere and encourage continuous involvement in the program.

Overall, by making the buddy system enjoyable, investing in employee training, and providing recognition, we aim to create a supportive and engaging environment that promotes collaboration and enhances the onboarding experience for new employees.