Professional indemnity insurance - withdrawal of CIPD provider and alternative?

Has anyone else received an email from Bennett Christmas (who took over the CIPD provider Weald Insurance) saying their PI insurance will not be renewed after 1st October?

The CIPD website says work to find another provider is underway but gives no timeframe. Given that the 1st is only 5 weeks away, it is going to leave a lot of independents in a vulnerable situation. It is one of the reasons many independents stay with the CIPD.

I deliberately moved from Towergate to Weald as it was the recommended provider and much more tailored cover. But now?

Can anyone recommend a provider they use, as many will need to switch soon.

• I moved to Hiscox in July. When BC sent me the initial email, I thought it was a scam.

In 2023, I am not willing to complete a 6 page Word document (not even using modern file format) and a website with no ability to login, did not give me any confidence.

The email yesterday said my insurance was due between Oct 23 and Sept 24. I was reassured moving elsewhere was the right decision as my insurance renewal was in July.
  • We use https://www.hiscox.co.uk/ for the last 10 plus years and I find them good they used to be recommended by the CIPD not sure if they are recommended now, hope that helps
  • In reply to Steven :

Steven, agree, the email and poor word doc did look like a scam. It certainly wasn't professional and didn't fill me with confidence.
  • In reply to Adam Coleman:

Thanks Adam, that's 2 recommendations for Hiscox now.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

23 Aug, 2023 14:17

Unfortunately, we have experienced delays in securing an alternative Professional Indemnity Insurance provision for CIPD members. The financial services market is notoriously complex and highly regulated, which have led to discussions taking longer than hoped. We are aware of the implications which this may be having for some of our members and we apologise for this.

We were only very recently informed by Bennett Christmas of their intentions to withdraw from the current scheme. It would have been our preference to have provided our members with more notice on this decision.

We're currently exploring an option which we would aim to have in place by the end of September, all going to plan. Throughout this process it has been our aim to provide access to a service which provides CIPD members with a competitive product and service and it remains our priority to achieve this for you.

I hope this helps explain the current situation.

For any further enquiries, please get in touch:

www.cipd.org/.../

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thanks Steve. Look forward to CIPD coming up with a replacement - a key benefit for so many independents. I haven't been impressed by the communications from BC to date.

Hello Steve… just wondering if there is any update on this?
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

21 Sep, 2023 08:27

In reply to Liz:

Hi Liz... as above, please get in touch with CIPD about this:
    www.cipd.org/.../
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

25 Sep, 2023 12:02

Just a quick update: the CIPD has identified a preferred provider and is waiting for approval from the FSA. We're hopeful that this will happen by November at the latest, but we’re obviously beholden to the financial regulations and third party timescales.

The CIPD will share more information just as soon as everything has been approved.

Our priority is to ensure the best outcome for our members in terms of value and service, and we apologise that the process is taking longer than we would have hoped.

Thanks for the update Steve.