Friend requests

I occasionally get a contact to add another forum user as a friend. This is nice, although I'm not sure what additional functionality they gain from an acceptance.

However, invariably when I get such a request, I can see in the notification menu drop-down that there is an message attached to the request (because the notification comes with the first few words of the message). But when I go to respond to the request the message is nowhere to be seen. It doesn't appear with the friend request and doesn't appear in my messages. There seems to be no way to read or respond to the message.

This has happened multiple times over several forum updates and never changes.

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

24 Aug, 2023 07:09

Hi - our community platform's private messaging tool is not intuitive.
    Before members of the community can exchange private messages, they both need to have accepted 'friend' requests. That is super clunky... but does provide protection from abuse.

I can change settings. So, for example, everyone and anyone can PM me - because it's my job and everyone is my friend ;)

That said, you seem to be flagging an issue with how this all works in practice... so I will investigate.
  • Yes I have had the same issue, received a friend request with a message attached, clicked the message and request, accepted the request but message no where to be found
  • Actually yes I've had this a couple of time too