Holiday entitlement and business closure

We have an employee who works 3 full days and 1 half day per week. Using the online holiday entitlement calculator it says they are entitled to 137.2 hours which works out at 19 full days and almost a half day. Our business is closed 17days per year and employees are required to use annual leave to cover these day, due to this our employee only has 2½ days annual leave to use as they wish. To me this doesn't seem overly fair, should there not be the option to take business closure as unpaid leave. Would like to hear some opinions on this as unsure how to best manage this as the employee is asking questions
  • Hi - do all the business close days fall on days that the individual is due to work? They should only have leave deducted when a closure day falls on a day they would normally work. So for example, if there was a full week closure, they would only have 3.5 days deducted, whereas a full time person would have 5 days deducted. I guess some of them are public holidays and again, they should only have that day deducted from their annual leave entitlement if they were actually due to work on that day. For example. in a week where there was a public holiday on a Monday, if they normally worked tues, wed, thurs and fri morning, they shouldn't have anything deducted
  • Thanks for your response, yes we are only deducting the days that they would usually be in work, we take all bank Holidays and then close for a week at summer and Christmas and 3 days at Easter so that's 10.5 days on their own
  • In reply to Michelle:

Thank you, is that all the closure periods, as if that only constitutes 10.5 working days for them, they would still have 9 left to use as they wish?

If all 17 of the days that a full time person has pre-allocated falls on their working days, then them only having 2.5 days left to use as they wish would be correct, but I'm struggling to see how that could be the case as because they only work 3.5 days, when you close for the week in the summer, you would only be pre-allocating them 3.5 days rather than the 5 days that someone full time would have pre-allocated.
  • Hi Michelle
    Are you deducting a full day from them for the half day? I am struggling to see how this adds up. It might be easier to convert to hours and deduct the hours per day they usually work during shut down.
  • Do you give them the option of working a different day of the week if one of their working days is on a b/h? This is the approach we take. It may not work out if they are dependant on childcare but it could give them more flexibility.
  • I'm just deducting 3.5 days when the business is closed for a full week. All the business closure days happen to fall on their working days and as they work a Monday, that's all the bank holidays as well. Business is closed 3 full weeks of the year which is 10.5 days for them, and then all the bank holidays and we take 2 days at halloween
  • I see where everyone is getting confused. The business is closed more days than just 17 days but 17 business closure days falls on this employee's working days
  • In reply to Michelle:

Yes, I think that's it - the business seems to be closed for 25 days (15 for the 3 weeks, 8 public holidays, plus the two Halloween days) and 17 of them fall on the employee's working day s.

In that case, it is correct as long as there isn't any doubling up (e.g. if one of the full week's is Christmas, that also includes publics holidays, so you wouldn't deduct 3.5 days, plus the two public holidays)
  • In reply to Teresa:

And remember good Friday is a bank holiday that isn't a Monday
  • In reply to Ian:

Hi Ian
    Depends where in UK they are, in NI we have Easter Monday and Tuesday as BH
  • Hi Tracey, it's NI based
  • In reply to Michelle:

so you also have July 12th as a BH that moves day of week as well don't you
  • In reply to Ian:

Hi Ian
    Yes NI generally have 10 BH as we have St Patrick's Day in March