A message to our Community...

Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

1 May, 2020 15:43

Dear Community Members,

I want to say something. I want to say ‘thank you’. Thank you for being a member of our Community. Your Community.

In these very challenging times so many of you have had to change the way you work. Some of you have even been put on furlough yourselves; some have unfortunately lost your jobs. While some people might be coping well in the current change, others are really struggling; some simply have bigger things going on than work.

The forum has been twice as busy over the last six weeks and I want to thank everyone for contributing - whether you’re asking, answering or sharing; whether you’re posting for the first time, or the thousandth time. You make this Community what it is… together.

It has been challenging for me to keep up with all the posts; I know some questions are asked repeatedly… but I also understand there are always subtleties and nuances. I do a bit of ‘merging’ threads together; a little editing of titles… but not too much. Some of you come to the Community to seek validation for your approach (especially if you’re in a standalone role); many will have their opinions challenged. The different perspectives and approaches all add tremendous value. We can all learn from one another.

We’re well into our 17th year. The Community has grown but it still feels like a safe and comfortable place to come and ask questions and seek guidance from peers. I know this because I often receive emails telling me!

A special thank you to our trusted group of Community ‘champions’. You are here as much (if not more) than I am. You are truly brilliant and I know your experience is appreciated by so many.

All of us at CIPD HQ (now WFH) also care. Many of my colleagues are busy lobbying the government on your behalf and interpreting the emerging and evolving guidance. Much of this finds its way quickly onto our website, here.

Once again - thank you. I’m proud to be involved with this amazing Community.

#HRtogether

• And thank you for YOUR contribution. Sending you a virtual high 5
  • Cheers Steve Bridger its certainly been one of those experiences we will all look back on and say "Do you remember when...." because like all things, this too will pass. Have a great weekend
  • And also thanks to you Steve for the job you do for this forum.
  • In reply to Susan May:

Yes thank you Steve for keeping everything working and in order.

I enjoy chipping in where I can, after all it ticks the boxes for some of the 5 ways to wellbeing such as staying connected to others and also helping others.

Thinking about the issues others pose takes me out of my bubble for a while and gives me a perspective that actually, my situation in all of this is not actually all that dire. I am not having to worry about being furloughed or furloughing anyone else, I can be productive in my role, I am listened to at work, and I am helping managers and employees to make the business work in these weird times.

All I need now is someone to give me some great advice on how to manage the childcare/learning of a 7 year old and full time work simultaneously - alas I think that may be even beyond this forum's amazing capabilities!
  • Thank you Steve. The forum is definitely helping me through this period of time. I am just hoping it will not be too long for business' to start recruiting, so my Husband can be re-employed again. I am sure patience is a virtue, but mine is now running thin!
  • Thank you to you and your team too Steve :)
  • And a huge thank you to everyone at the CIPD team, the contributors and anyone else who has made the job more manageable during this time. I have never felt more supported by this Community or been more grateful for my membership.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

4 May, 2020 14:09

In reply to Sarah Trueman:

That's really positive to hear, Sarah Trueman.

Especially true when the guidance is changing daily... hourly, even... and we're all trying to do our best for our employees (and that goes for CIPD, too).
  • Thank you Steve, team and rest of the community. It took me quite a while to pluck up the courage to finally post my first question a few weeks ago. Now...I'm always checking in just in case. Thank you.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

6 May, 2020 11:38

In reply to Sarah:

It's a big first step. I never underestimate what it takes to put your head above the parapet and post for the first time. Glad you did... and great to have you with us, Sarah.
  • thank you too