Furlough

My employee,on the 22nd of March decided to put herself on furlough as she is pregnant,and took government advice to go into self isolation.

1st,can she put herself on furlough?

also because she did this has she effectively walked out of her job
and can I replace her?

• Hi David,

No it's the Employers decision.

We have had a number of staff who have decided to go into self-isolation (we are manufacturing company, still open but with less workload).
    We have decided to furlough the employees at high risk (have an underlying health condition or living with family member who is shielding).
  • The question is not as straightforward and one dimensional as it sounds. Its been asked in various guises on these forums and you would be well to check the other questions.
  • In reply to Molly Peters:

Thanks for your response,because she’s done this,am I obligated to take her back?
  • In reply to David :

I'm assuming she cannot work from home? I would be careful as pregnant women are classed as high risk, although haven't been told to shield, so can understand her decision to shield.
    We have had an employee who has chosen to self isolating as his girlfriend is pregnant and she is working from home. In this situation we have told him that he will either have to take Annual Leave or Unpaid Leave
  • In reply to David :

The Government advised that Pregnant women should be "more stringent" when following the social distancing guidance. The Government have also said that "no one should be penalised for doing the right thing" - thus treating her as resigned because she has "refused to work" is likely to fall into this definition.
    If you can demonstrate that you have adequate provisions in place at work to enable her to social distance at work, and she can safely travel to and from work (within the guidelines), you could discuss this with her, but the path of least resistance would probably be to furlough her, on the basis that employees who are unable to work because they are shielding can now be furloughed.