Managing or improving tardiness/motivation

Hi Community! I hope your are all coping through the longest-felt month of the year and already ready to enter the leap year month! Smiley

Reaching out to your gem droppers in hope I can get ideas/advice/direction to maybe some material.

I am trying to support and advice a manager on a team member who seems to be (just as i placed in subject line), questionably dis-engaged at times, has a tendency to come across as passive aggressive, defensive at times and when spoken to about they will agree for the behaviour to change but then after a month revert back to the same behaviours. Their manager has noticed tardiness and at times maybe the employee will go off to the gym at lunch and not return to tasks for hours. 

They have some great qualities to the business so the manager does want to make it work with the employee but is getting weighed down by these what could be fixable behaviours. 

The manager feels the team needs more structure and would like them to be held accountable for their jobs, something to really measure them in the sense of "Did you deliver vs Did you not deliver". 

I think what may help the manager through this is implementing a framework for frequent 1:1 reviews and have sort of metrics in place - would just need to figure out what. At the moment they dont have any formal performance reviews or check ins. 

From there on, i would probably then propose a PIP. But i'd love to know what the community has to offer as different forms of options that you have seen work positively in someways if not all. 

I need a strategy! 

• If there are no frequent 1-2-1s then I would be doing that well before I tried other things. These minor behavioural issues should be addressed as and when they happen and not allowed to be stored up into "bigger" issues. A weekly or fortnightly 1-2-1 sound sin order well before a PIP
  • In reply to Keith:

Agreed, this is my first stepping stone. What would you say to the scenario that those behaviours didn't change having the 1-2-1s?
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

29 Jan, 2024 09:40

Danielle said:

Hi Community! I hope your are all coping through the longest-felt month of the year and already ready to enter the leap year month!

Reaching out to your gem droppers in hope I can get ideas/advice/direction to maybe some material.

Hi ... January almost done and dusted. Welcome to our Community! 

• In reply to Danielle:

Well if they don't change you step up a notch. To more direct requests. Then if that doesn't change you are into PIP territory.
  • This bit: Their manager has noticed tardiness and at times maybe the employee will go off to the gym at lunch and not return to tasks for hours.

Is surely measurable and actionable? If I took myself off to the gym when I was contracted to work and I didn't get any kind of disciplinary action resulting, I would be stunned. And I'd probably feel that it didn't really matter to my manager whether I was there or not.

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

29 Jan, 2024 12:53

In reply to Nina Waters:

If it really is "for hours", then that is a huge failure of line management.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Agreed, I would focus on the manager first.