The Impact of a 'Divided Workplace'

Hi There,

I wonder if there is anybody out there experiencing a similar situation to me?

I work for an NHS Provider and very recently under government advice the majority of 'support teams' (non clinical) began working from home.  Whilst this has caused no 'productivity issues' we are certainly feeling a 'divide' between those that have remained on site and those working from home.  This is evidenced by 'jokes'  directed at support teams and a sense that those homeworking are no longer part of the 'front line' in the battle against Covid.  I realise that this is certainly a highly sensitive time which potentially makes it more difficult for 'jokes' to be brushed aside and causes 'hyper-sensitivity' but as an organisation I fear that this could have a long term impact on culture. 

We have sent out communications referencing being 'one team' but I do not believe this is suffice and really feel more powerful interventions are required.  Interventions however that do not further exacerbate the divide. I want to remain balanced and understand the issues from both sides of the divide.

It would be really helpful to know if anybody is experiencing a similar situation - or is there a sense that this is a truly difficult time and everybody should 'just get over it'.  Its a bit lonely in HR at the moment!

Many Thanks

CLR

• Hi Charlie

I don't think there are easy answers here - I also work in the NHS, and there has always been something of a divide between "frontline" and back office staff. The group I'm most concerned about in terms of exclusion at the moment is our shielding clinical staff - a lot of them feel very guilty, and I'm not convinced that all colleagues are always sympathetic.

In terms of support functions, the majority of ours are also WFH (other than those of us staffing our staff "Covid line"). From an HR-perspective, our teams are prioritising whatever work they can do to best support the frontline - payroll, recruitment, rostering and being available to support and advise managers, as well as publicising sources of support for staff.

Happy to talk further if you want to drop me an email (I'm very easy to find on nhs.net)

Thanks
    Emily
  • Hi Charlie; welcome to "Communities"

As Emily says, there has always been something of a frontline/back office divide within the NHS, right back to the '70s and '80s when I was with the Ambulance service, and later when I became a "back office" manager even though within a clinical team!

As already said: I do not think there are any easy answers to it and when people are under the potentially life-threatening stresses they are now, attempting to create a "one team" environment can only appear a little condescending, however well intentioned it might be, and I am sure you intend it to be. (E.g. begging the reply: "That's easy for you to say, from your nice, safe, back-office...").

....and I know that's true, because to a small degree I have felt it, at times, when, say, at the roadside in the pouring rain trying to save someones life in a wrecked car, only to be told by some controller on the radio that the nearest A&E is closed.... The momentary desire to suggest they get off their warm shiny seats to come and do some "real" work sneaks in....even when utterly unfair and unjustified with even a moment's "unpressurised" thought.

How it feels for those dealing with CV19 for hours, days and weeks, I can therefore imagine, but only imagine.

My only suggestion would therefore be to focus on the morale of the "back office" to keep them aware that what they are doing IS making a difference and IS as vital as "front of house". Then when it's over maybe look to rebuilding the bridges with some social events, or suggesting to the front line that they give some recognition to those who held their coats safely while they got on with the fighting. (Metaphorically speaking). But you will in fact probably find that starts to happen for itself, when the appreciation dawns.

P
  • Mine is a a different situation, but I work for a local Council and we have staff working on, and reassigned to, the front line in terms of delivery of care and also delivering food parcels etc. Other of us work in support roles and are working from home. The Director of what would essentially be classed as 'support services' says that 'there is no such thing as a back office function'. He holds weekly briefings and explains both what the Council is doing and how our 'support functions' are contributing to that. Knowing that our Director values our contribution and having a wider understanding of our own role in fighting this virus is very morale-building.
  • In reply to Jo Lockyer:

Brilliant and impressive approach, although more suited to (comparatively) small teams where the "administrative" status of team members is similar between "hands on" and "hands off" functions, but I would guess feels great to be part of and contributing to.

One of the good things that might come out of this tragedy is that organisations will be drawn together around real leadership and, if carefully nurtured as things get back to (the new) "normal", those relationships can be built on and focussed upon shared interests within businesses, institutionalising engagement throughout policies, structures, and mutual respects.

Our job to do tomorrow, maybe.... :-)

P