Holidays & Furlough

Hello, wondering if anyone is able to offer any advice on how holidays tie in with furlough re the job retention scheme, please? We are looking for some of our team to use some holiday whilst on furlough but not sure whether holiday and furlough can be processed together or whether like SSP/SMP this needs to be separate to a period of furlough. Also, if they can be done at the same time, does holiday pay need topped up from 80% to 100%? Thanks.

• Hi Jennifer, and welcome to the forums

I think that you have to work this like SMP etc, i.e. someone has to come off furlough to take holiday. Because they have come off furlough, their holiday will be paid at 100% of their pay, not 80%. If you try the search function, you will find other threads that cover furlough and holidays.
  • There is a debate about if you can use holiday whilst on furlough. I don’t think you can based on current guidance but that may we’ll be clarified in the next set of guidance coming out. By far the safest approach at the moment would be to have three weeks clear furlough and then one weeks paid holiday. But of course you couldn’t claim the allowance for the holiday week. Hopefully this will be clarified shortly.