progression into HR role

Good afternoon, I have just completed my CIPD level 5 certificate in HRM and wanted some insight on how I can progress into an HR role. I am currently a customer and trading manager in supermarket retail and do aspects of HR in role. What would you recommend is the next step for me? regards Hamza
  • Hi Hamza
    I started off in a HR Admin role and then went to HR Assistant and then HR Advisor.

I didn't have direct HR experience at the time, so felt I needed to start with an Admin role. I did this alongside CIPD Level 3 and Level 5.

I think you need to ensure that your CV reflects the aspects of HR that you have experience with. I think you need to think transferable skills. As in, working in retail as a customer and trading manager requires good time management skills and working to deadlines I assume.

I think the most important thing is for you to get your transferable skills across and get out there and apply.

It also depends on what role you want to do in HR. I was told to think about where I wanted to end up, read the job descriptions for that role and work my way back to see how to get there
  • hi Hamza, I had a similar journey to you. I learnt my HR foundations from being a retail manager and unfortunately my role was made redundant. I found that to get a job in HR, I had to start at HR Admin but to be fair, I hadn't yet done my level 5. if you are looking for a role out of retail, I'd sign up to you some recruitment agencies. They will be able to help you make your CV HR orientated rather than retail orientated. In terms of next step, HR advisor would be ideal to get into the HR role