Organisation Charts

Hi All,

Just wondering whether anyone has used software to create org charts and if any come recommended?  We are a small organisation so don't want to spend much. 

Any ideas?

TIA

Jo Middleton

• We use MS Visio and it work well.
  • For one small org I support, I simply use ppt, smartart, hierarchy, org charts - very flexible and quick and easy to use if you don't have too many names and job titles to enter.
  • My organisation used to use PowerPoint, but now we use Pingboard as we grow.
  • In reply to Jessica:

Hi Jessica - we have been looking in to Pingboard and I really like it. The question about GDPR compliance has arisen - what are your thoughts/how have you addressed this? I'm thinking that if the org chart only needs to have name and job title on it, would it be classed as personal data? We would want a photo included which is personal data.....so would we need to declare it somewhere or do something different if it were rolled out to users and placed on our intranet?
  • For small organizations, PowerPoint really is more than adequate. Open the software, create a blank slide and use the "Insert Shape" instruction. You can add lines and arrows between shapes that will "link" automatically to a point on that shape so you can move groups around and the line will follow. You can change the outline, colour and fill of each shape to indicate different teams or statuses, and create dotted line links as well as solid ones.

It isn't perfect (it wasn't designed for this, after all) but it produces neat, well-aligned org charts for small organizations.