References- How far can we go with them?

Hello All,

Being a HR professional, we are entitled to get and give references in the recruitment field.

Can anyone give me the guidelines on how much and what to include in a reference letter/form and the real purpose of getting reference please?

The reason for me asking the above is, Our JV has a very high employee turnover and I am trying to find out why do people come and leave so quickly?

While doing so, I found that the mangers responsible for recruiting definitely need some training. Also, I advised them to ask for references but I am not sure what to expect in response.

I spend most of my time, carrying probationary dismissal because of this, either they have timing problems, reporting issues, sick leaves, behavioural issues( showing attitude to tenants, swearing over the phone etc). How do we know about all these before they start working for us?

Same way, if we are doing a referral to someone like the above, when they worked for us.. can we include these issues to their proposed employer?

I look forward to your expert advise.

Thank you.

Nisha Assoc CIPD

• I only give 'tombstone' references and only expect the same back to be honest so personally I don't really place much value on references, especially as I have had good references that have turned out to not be entirely reflective of our experience with the employee! In my experience if an employee wasn't great, the company would only give a tombstone reference anyway, so again not much use.

Instead of relying on others experience's of employees, I'd focus on the interview process and the questions asked (again being mindful that candidates are not always entirely truthful!) and effective performance management once they start.

You can include additional information in a reference for an ex-employee as long as its factual, fair and not subjective. Personally though I wouldn't unless there were safeguarding/safety issues or similar.

The fact is you won't have a fool-proof way of knowing what an employee is like until they start working for you.
  • Hi Nisha

Have you tried exit interviews? That would give you an insight into the reasons for resignations.
  • ~Nisha ~if the main purpose is to find out why people leave you, then as Elizabeth states the way to do this is to carry out exit interviews or/exit questionnaires on paper.

All you need ask is:-
    a) What was your main reason for leaving?
    b) What did you enjoy most about our company?
    c) What did you least enjoy?

Apart from giving and receiving 'tombstone' references which is what many companies give and or send (see Samanthas post), then there is nothing to stop you asking for the information you require from previous employers, but remembering that they may not always give you either a totally frank answer or answer all your questions.

You say you spend most of your time carrying out probationary dismissals. It sounds like you must carry out a lot. But it does raise the question of what induction and/or job related training you actually give new starters considering there are so many, especially as some of the issues should be easily remedied. Do you tell new starters they must not swear over the phone for example?

David
  • Hi everyone,
    Also looking for some guidance on references....

Asking if there are any live warning on file...what is the best way of asking for more information that is still compliant with GDPR if a past employer says yes
    Any live warnings? If so, please provide a brief description?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Lorraine
  • In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Hi Elizabeth,
    No, we tried to do a couple but didn't get much out of it, as the employees gave "personal reasons" for resignation.
  • In reply to Lorraine:

Lorraine,

This is a good reason why I and my other colleagues here prefer the "tombstone" reference: that is, limit the information to the following:

Confirm they were an employee
    Provide dates of employment
    Provide last job title held
    Confirm (briefly) reason for leaving:
    Resignation, redundancy, dismissal (capability), dismissal (conduct), dismissal (SOSR), resignation pending the outcome of a disciplinary investigation.

If someone asks me for more information (number of sick days, quality of work, "live" warnings [whatever that means]) I simply ignore them and send the tombstone.

Contrary to Nisha's opening line, we are not "entitled" to anything. It is curious that, more often that not, references represent us doing uncompensated work on behalf of our competitors, so it's astonishing that we do them at all!
  • In reply to Robey:

Thanks Robey!