ice grippers and snow chains

We are looking at providing our carers with ice grippers for their shoes and snow chains for their cars to help them get around in the winter. Does anyone have any experience of providing similar equipment to their staff or can think of any pitfalls in doing this.

• Snow chains have very limited use in most of the UK (as they cant be driven on tarmac roads unless there is a complete covering of snow/ice). You employees also need to feel safe going out even with teh chains and as most of them wont have any experience of driving with them then use might be limited. If you are planning on using them then first carry out a risk assessment, then train all your staff in fitting, use etc. Then find out after the winter that no one really used them (sorry the last bit is mine)

Grippers for shoes possibly have more utility, I haven't come across anyone wholesalely giving them out but if we have heavy snow or you are in a particular part of country it might be a benefit,

Its a cost benefit thing I guess, most of the country actually gets relatively little snow (no matter what nightmare headlines we see in the tabloids every year) so you may invest heavily for next to no reward.
  • Risk Assessment required.... You'll find a number of problems from correct fitment, numerous wheel sizes, 2 and 4 wheel drive, when to take them off as they actually make things worse on none snow covered tarmac and ongoing repair.

In a number of European countries they require you to use winter tyres not snow chains... however numerous complexity where most people have a full set of alternative wheels in the garage to swop them over at the correct point in the year.

I would try contacting a motoring group like RAC or AA to ask for advice.
  • Agree with the others. If they have never used snow chains they'll need lessons anyway. Fitting them and taking them off is a real issue and a real ***.. I live on the North Yorkshire moors and I've not seen or heard of snow chains being used for donkey's years.
  • I agree with colleagues, but would also add that 'snow socks' might be of more use - to help people get out of an icy patch if they're stuck - than snow chains which have the draw-backs colleagues have identified. The socks would also need to be the correct size for the tyre.

Regarding grippers for shoes, I believe the Post Office provides Post -men and -women with these.
  • Perhaps instead consider a defensive driving course for your staff who are out and about on the roads, many of these courses will teach how to control the vehicle in the event it skids etc. I used to work for an automotive company and we used to send out engineers on these all the time for when they went on cold/warm climate test trips.
  • You might be on this already but its worth thinking about the demographic of your workforce and the location of your clients. You can then assess who needs appropriate footwear (possibly rucksacks as well as often carers take food shopping to clients during bad weather) and who will need to travel or be visited by car. You may also want to have a contingency list of employees who live more locally to clients or those who have access to a 4x4 and are willing to help on an ad hoc basis during bad weather.
  • Cross climate tyres are much better than chains or standard snow tyres (which have to be taken off for summer) as they can be used all year round and drive the same as standard tyres (though slightly louder on the road when driving)

I live in the North and find the cross climate tyres really helpful for snow.
  • In reply to Julie:

Snow chains are a pain to fit - I live on Exmoor with a fairly steep hill to negotiate, and have never fitted mine, I rely on 4WD, crossclimate tyres, and keeping off the worst roads if conditions are too bad. Someone without experience of driving with them could potentially get into more trouble or go out in conditions that are unsuitable, leading to an accident/claim. Shoe grips are very useful though.
  • In reply to Stan:

I agree that you need to know how to drive in snow in the first place and that tyres alone will not make that safe. A degree of common sense as to the appropriateness of driving in the prevailing road conditions is always required.

I never used chains but changed to snow tyres each winter (and back in spring) until there were cross cross climates available for my car, they are not available for every vehicle yet.

If Rachel’s organisation are going to the trouble of providing equipment I just assumed that they would also provide proper training, risk assessments etc.
  • Thanks everyone for your feedback, i think we will give the snow chains a miss and take on board some of the other suggestions you have all made
  • In reply to Rachael Ward:

The AA and RAC websites provide advice on driving in winter conditions.