Setting up a HR Department

Hi all,

I am about to finish my CIPD level 5 and worked as an HR generalist for four years in the public sector.

I have recently started an exciting new role as an HR Officer for a SME property development company. They currently employ up to 50 employees, job roles vary from Customer Service agents to Project Managers. They were a Chinese company originally so they currently employ international employees but have a diverse background.

They currently have an Employee Handbook, very little guidance and basic HR databases (excel). They want to transition from Excel to an HR system, they want to create policies, procedures and guidance. They also want me to improve sickness, performance and annual leave management. They are currently is a Legal Adviser there and they have been using an HR Consultant, the Managing Director has had a Personal Assistant doing the HR administrative tasks, however, English isn't their first language.

Anyone got any ideas as to where or what I should do first? Or can share some advice?

Kind regards,

Clarke Ward

• Hi Clarke

I did a similar thing, but in a Company of around 25 employees.

I think it's important to spend some time reviewing what's currently in place and spend time getting involved on the front-line (1) to understand employees' issues and (2) to see where problems/issues may lie from the Company's perspective.

Good luck!
  • In reply to Sam:

Agree with Sam, start with some easy wins and get your house in order. I'm in a standalone role as well and I've found it very beneficial to keep an eye and contribute on these forums - I don't feel as alone as I did when I started my role!

I joined HR Inform to get my basic policies and forms in place at the beginning and have been working slowly through the GDPR - i'd make sure you have control of personal data if you haven't already. The HR Consultant should be able to provide some standard policies though unless that comes at a premium.

Perhaps get your key policies in place first like disciplinary and grievance etc and then go from there, it's going to take time but it will be worth it (I keep telling myself).

As for HR systems, we use People HR here but they are phasing it out to use a new system called Odoo. In my previous company, we implemented Breathe HR which is cheaper and may be great for your company.

Kind regards
    Jodie
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

14 Mar, 2018 10:10

In reply to Jodie:

Nice post, Jodie.
  • In reply to Jodie:

Hi
    I can vouch for Breathe HR, I recently introduced it for the leave module and plan to slowly increase its use, as staff come become familiar with it to eventually, use more of the modules, next electronic pay slips.
  • Hi - I agree with what everyone has said, make sure you know what the priorities are for the business and employees and find the right balance to go about tackling things for both stakeholders where you can. I find its easy to get side tracked in HR onto other topical things, just stick to your priorities and you will get there.

These chats are helpful and using templates is a good place to start.

keep us posted
  • In reply to Glenys:

We have electronic payslips in place, it is common now for employers to do this and for us was a good timer saver to have employees take ownership of this rather than us having to print and distribute. We introduced it first to salaried staff and then to hourly paid staff at a later date as their buy in was harder to get, as we are unionised. All working very well though now.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

1 May, 2018 14:48

In reply to Steve Bridger:

As well as the advice above... and on other threads, there is always the CIPD Knowledge Base, too.

• Hi,

I've been in a similar situation (twice) and the first thing i always do is to check legal compliance e.g. right to work documentation, does everyone have a contract, and the files in order etc. I then try and understand the top priorities for the organisation and focus on them first.
  • Very glad I found this thread. I am in a similar situation to Clarke, I started just a month ago in a "HR Coordinator" role but have discovered there is very little in the way of a HR.
    The company has been supported by it's parent company in Scandinavian but a lot is missing for the UK.
    I am trying to see this as the fantastic opportunity it is for me to progress my career and implement my CIPD level 5 training but is feels quite daunting at times!

Lorraine