Transition from project management to HR

Hi everyone!

I am glad I joined this group and hopefully I will get some insights into HR field.

I am thinking to change career path to HR, so Iplanning to start CIPD Diploma Level 5.

I have teaching and linguistic background. I did the MSc in Translation Technology which gave me the opportunity to work as a PM in Localisation. I found it very stressful. Needless to say that working overtime was the the norm. It seems that Localisation companies are all more or less the same, so I decided that HR or L&D is a field that I would be interested to explore.  I have also 2 years of administration experience.

Do you think that CIPD will help me find my first HR job?Or shouldn't invest time and effort on this?

It seems that a lot of skills required in HR, are similar to PM like prioritisation, ability to work in a fast paced environment, multitasking etc. Would my PM experience be taken into accpunt?

I feel that it is impossible to get an entry level HR job in Dublin. 

Any feedback or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Welcome to the forums. If you use the search facilities you will find lots of helpful advise on people trying to get into HR from a variety of fields. Its tough, often takes longer than they expect and quite frustrating. HR is a career with far more people wanting to do it than roles available so be prepared to stick at it.

I also think it would be wise for you to really think if a HR career is for you. I understand that your role in Localisation isn't meeting your needs but you need some pretty strong motivation to get into HR so think through why?

Your PM skills may be useful in some HR jobs but not so many entry level ones.

The key thing for you is to try and get some experience any way you can. It will be vital to see if HR is the career for you and also helping to persuade others that you are serious and can do the job. Its likely these roles will be much lower paid / status than you are used to at first.

Personally I would not be doing the CIPD 5 at this stage as to get the most from it you need some experience.
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith,

Thanks a lot for advising and I totally agree on what you say. I can't say for sure that HR is my dream job as I haven't worked before on the field. From what I see from the job descriptions and my experience with the HR department in my previous company, I believe it is something that I like and I could picture myself doing it. I love human interaction, providing help and guidance. Also, it might be a way to do some L&D tasks and see this part as well.
    ICS suggested me Level 5 because I have a degree, even though I don't have experience in HR. Would that Diploma help to find the first HR job? I understand that experience is important but how should I get the experience if nobody gives the opportunity? I am referring only to entry level positions such as HR administrator.

Thanks!
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith,

Thanks a lot for advising and I totally agree on what you say. I can't say for sure that HR is my dream job as I haven't worked before on the field. From what I see from the job descriptions and my experience with the HR department in my previous company, I believe it is something that I like and I could picture myself doing it. I love human interaction, providing help and guidance. Also, it might be a way to do some L&D tasks and see this part as well.
    ICS suggested me Level 5 because I have a degree, even though I don't have experience in HR. Would that Diploma help to find the first HR job? I understand that experience is important but how should I get the experience if nobody gives the opportunity? I am referring only to entry level positions such as HR administrator.

Thanks!
  • In reply to Angeliki:

If you use the search there is lots of advice on ways to get experience, charity, volunteering, internal shadowing etc etc.

Your challenge with doing L5 without experience is (a) you wont get the most out of the course and (b) with an MSc already you risk being "over qualified" for entry level roles and people thinking you wont stay for long.

No easy answers I am afraid. If you can find a way to get some experience I really would go for that option.
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Angeliki

Based on half a lifetime in a project management / engineering contracting company, I’d think it might be worth your exploring sticking with your project management skills but concentrating on finding an employer with whom you can exercise them in a way you find congenial. PM skills are very necessary for just about any activity, so there should be almost infinite variety available. And competent / expert project managers are as far as I know in short supply.

Then, if you still wish to move into HR, try to find a workplace where this might be encouraged - in many roles, having a sound knowledge and understanding of core business activities is regarded as vital for HR staff there, so if you’ve been successfully managing projects for them already, that may make you a favourable proposition for them.

Personally, I don’t consider myself either meticulous enough or mean enough or singleminded enough to make a good project manager, whereas qualities such as these aren’t needed quite the same for effective HR management, but that’s a personal view and a sweeping and probably dangerous generalisation.
  • You've obviously given your future career options a lot of thought and I would advise you to do the CIPD level 5 course as, to answer one of your questions directly, it will definitely help you find your first HR job. Future employers will see that you're serious about an HR career and will be more persuaded to give you that first opportunity in an HR role. I agree with Keith in so far as you'd get more from the course if you had HR experience but nevertheless it will give you a whole wealth of knowledge and will look good on your CV.
    Good luck Angeliki!
  • In reply to Sue Eakin:

Really? There are many posts on here and much advice that doing a qualification will not "definitely help you find your first HR job"... Would suggest reading the posts above, as well as the many others about entering HR, then make a considered decision before jumping into studying. If you do choose to study, be aware this may not provide a short cut to a role in HR...