Questionable professional conduct from my current employer

I have recently handed my resignation in to my current employer, as I have accepted a position within another company that is a direct competitor of my current organisation.

I am working my full contracted notice period and I have not disclosed the details of my new employment to my colleagues.

A direct colleague of mine attended a training session last night with my current employer and they have told me that this morning, that my name was bought up in conversation by the trainer, who compared me to mud. (I assume because I am joining the competitor company)

This comment has shocked and upset me, as I have been employed with my current organisation for approx., six years. I have grown within the organisation and always given 100% commitment.

I am now questioning what do next, do I simply ignore this comment and move on, or should this be addressed at a higher level?

I would appreciate any feedback or advice?

Kindest regards

Lisa

• Hi Lisa

All you could really do at this point in IMO is to raise a grievance with your current employer, just to make a point that they can't get away with it!

Take it as a good thing you're moving on and start a better role!
  • I agree with Sam. I would definitely raise a grievance. The trainer's behaviour is unprofessional and needs to be addressed.

You can then move on with your head held high and make the most of your new opportunity.

Congratulations on the new job.
  • Hi Lisa

I have been in a similar position myself with a previous employer, excellent feedback throughout my employment, never had any issues. Once I handed my notice in, my manager, of all people, slated me to colleagues, and made me feel very uncomfortable to the point I could not complete my full notice period as it was too toxic for me to stay the full duration.

It can be difficult, but I would suggest that you do not react, keep your head held high with your dignity in tact. You have secured new employment elsewhere, and other peoples opinions are just that, and are more a reflection of themselves.
  • In reply to Sam:

Thank you Sam,
    Yes, its interesting how someone's true colours eventually show themselves!
  • In reply to Deborah:

Thank you Deborah,
    I agree with you, I will address this professionally and move on with my integrity intact!
  • In reply to Stephanie:

Hi Stephanie,
    Sorry to hear about your awful experience, it is such a shame that, at the end of employment you are faced with such hostility.
    You are right, I will maintain professionalism and work the duration of my notice period with professional integrity.
  • Hi Lisa, welcome to the communities. Some good advice here. I would also adopt the professional attitude and hold your head high. Besides, do you really want to reduce yourself to their level? Strikes me it's a cowardly attitude to speak about a colleague in derogatory terms and behind their back, you're worth more than that! Mind you, it's not altogether unusual for people to suddenly turn once a resignation has been made. A line manager at a previous job caused merry hell for anyone who dared to leave since they seemed to take it personally. Good luck with your new role, I hope the move is a good one for your career.
  • At the moment you don't have questionable activity by your employer (yet!). You have a lone trainer shouting his mouth off about something he knows very little about, he may have a long term view of you (not everyone likes everyone) or he may well be reacting to your resignation and feel you are letting down the team (people do take the funniest attitudes).

You also only have this information second hand and it of course has been filtered intentionally or unintentionally by your colleague who has passed it on.

For those and the other reasons mentioned by colleagues (and frankly life is too short) I would let it go. Turn the other cheek and get on with working your notice. Your legacy will be secured (or not) by the service and relationships you have built over the time you have been there not by any actions now.
  • In reply to Clare Marie:

Thank you Clare,
    The comment really caught off me off guard, as up until now I have always enjoyed a very good relationship with this person and it’s a shame that, as you say - my decision to move on has been taken so personally, what happened to supporting people who are climbing the professional ladder (or perhaps I am naïve) either way I won’t let it affect me anymore and rise above the immaturity of it all.
  • In reply to Keith:

Thank you Keith,
    It is definitely the latter and this person obviously feels that I am "letting the team down" which is a great shame, however his comments are short term and my carer progression will be what defines my future and my personal happiness.
    You are right in that I have already secured my legacy and I should not let this final blip, tarnish the last six years of my career.
    Thank you again for the clarity!
  • I had a similar thing, but was slung mud by someone who had resigned and felt it was ok to do this. I was unaware until the Store Manager told me because a number of colleagues had approached him about this and thought it was wrong! Some colleagues openly agreed with the nasty one and they all had their comeuppance, as the Store Manager told the one working her notice, not to return and complete it as she was not required. The others were each spoken to and told in no uncertain terms that he didn't expect this behaviour because he was well aware of how I had personally helped these employees in the past. Head held high.
  • In reply to Lisa :

Welcome to the communities Lisa.

I too would simply let this go - I certainly wouldn't want to go away with a grievance.

However, I probably would go and have a word with the trainer. As Keith says, you really don't know the circumstances, nor do you know exactly what the trainer said or the circumstances in which he said it.
  • In reply to David Perry:

I was coming onto this thread to say the same thing - you've had a good working relationship with this colleague in the past, so either his view has changed suddenly or what he's said has been misrepresented with the retelling. Either way, a quiet conversation asking whether he's been upset by your resignation, as someone else got that impression recently, would flag to him that you are both aware and that you care about what he is saying about you.