Return from Maternity Leave onto Reduced Hours

Hi

We've received a flexible working request to work part time following maternity leave.   The employee is wanting to reduce her full time hours to work a 3 day working week (was originally a 5 day working week).   In order to accomodate this she is going to have to step down a level as she will be unable to fullfil some of her current  role.       I know we have to pro-rata her salary accordingly for the hours, however are we able to reduce her FTE salary to take into account that she wont be working at the same level as before her maternity leave?

Thanks

Helen

• Hi Helen
    Need to clarify her expectations beforehand - eg does she know about the need to step down a level and what's she expecting as regards possible stepping down salary? - it's an entirely reasonable condition for an employer to seek to apply - if justifiable of course,- but a matter for full and amicable discussion / negotiation from the earliest possible stage

• In reply to David:

Hi David, she doesnt at this point know that she will possibly need to step down a level therefore no discussions have been held regarding salary. We will be inviting her in to discuss her request this coming week so are currently exploring all the possiblities with the manager. I'm hoping we can come to an agreement regarding her flexible working that suits all parties.
  • In reply to Helen:

Why does she have to step down? What will she be unable to do? Have you considered filling the other 2 days on the same level with a job share or alternative?

If it was me then that is the questions I would be asking you.