Who manages change in your organisation?

After many years in HR and Change Management I’m making it my quest to help Managers manage the change in their organisations and HR professionals. Too often in big scale change programmes I’ve seen the responsibility placed on the project / programme team. Could this be why 80% of change programmes fail? The most successful changes I’ve experienced have come from the leaders and managers themselves, with the right tools and support often through coaching.  HR often are the ones who deal with the consequence of the change, but don’t always have the tools or support to manage it.  I would love to know who in your organisation ensures that Managers and HR are equipped to manage change? How does your organisation manage change?

• Change management is very different imo from mainstream HR. Even much of cultural change. Most change however is as much if not more about processes, procedures, WOW , new technology etc. Many HR people are ill equipped to deal with this.

Change is owned by the Executive Sponsor for that change project. 

Change is then managed by Project Managers. They are up skilled and developed using all the same processes of TNA, coaching , formal courses etc as any other skill the organisation needs.

• In reply to Keith:

Thanks Keith, Can I ask what size organisation you are in?